Another trip up Mt. Lemmon (large post)....

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by manzico, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I went up Mt. Lemmon last weekend and managed to catch a bunch of good shots. The lighting proved challenging and I ended up playing with HDR a little bit. I'm still not quite comfortable with the workflow using HDR, but I'm getting there. Anyway, here are some shots from that trip:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

There were some great storms that moved in (you cans see the beginning of that in the last pic), and I caught some great monsoon shots too, but I'll post those separately so that this post will load within a human lifetime. Any and all comments are welcome.

thanks,

Dave

2. Your black and white conversions are really good. Nice images all around.

3. royk

royk

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX/USA
    I like the sun and clowds in the last two. I've been to Mt. Lemmon only once, nice place.

Roy

4. last two....

I'm glad you liked them. The last two are actually the same image... kind of. The darker of the two is a crop of the whole image with some curves and channel mixer work. The lighter of the two is actually and HDR combination of several images (including the first one) along with the channel mixer and some additional curves work.

5. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    David, the B/W pictures are wall hangers

6. I thoroughly enjoyed these. excellent dramatic light in the storm shots.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Very nice. The storm shots are my favorite. Did you use the merge to HDR feature in Photoshop CS2. I've yet to try it and would love to hear what you think about it if you used it.

8. Thanks for all of the comments. As for the restaurant in Summerhaven, the answer is kind of. The large restaurant on the right as you enter town was completely destroyed by the fire. The place across the street where they sell those awesome pies survived unscathed. The cabin rental place down the street with the humongous cookies burned down, but they've rebuilt. The Living Rainbow also was destroyed, but they've rebuilt as well.

About HDR, I did use it on the last image in the post. The image above it is from one of the constituent images I used in the merge to HDR for the last photo. I'm still getting comfortable with the feature. The merge to HDR option is quite easy, just point it at the pictures and let it go, the conversion to a 16/8 bit image is still a little difficult for me. To me, the last conversion option "local adaptation" provides the most control, but, at least for me, it has proven difficult to get the results I want. I really have to play with the process a little more. There is a lot of control there, but, as is always the case with a lot of control, you need to know what you are doing and I'm just learning. I have encountered photos where I like the old blended exposure method results better than the HDR, but I definitely think the HDR feature has potential.

Dave