Another try with the birds...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by nburwell, Sep 16, 2005.

1. In my continued effort to improve my bird pictures, I shot about 100+ images last night after dinner in my backyard. Unforunately, out of the 100+ images that I shot, only a few came out to my liking. This one picture below is one of them.

onwire.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a pretty sparrow
    Sure is a tiny subject :>)))

Comp is i a tad off. My hats off to you for trying such a difficult subject

3. Were all your 100 shots with the Sigma 70-200 ?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nick,

This is not a bad small bird shot, but I can tell you from my own experience that shooting small birds takes either getting very close (with some kind of blind perhaps), or long glass. Mike Mac is one of the few to get really good close-ups of small birds with the 70-200VR, and he has a special set-up where they perch very close.

If possible, try to get some place where there are larger birds like pigeons, gulls or ducks and geese, or perhaps look into a longer lens. A really good choice would be the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma). It can be had for around $600-700, and is an excellent starter bird lens. It has the fast focusing HSM motor and is very sharp. I had one when I started, and I've seen some really excellent shots by others. The cool thing about the Bigma is that when / if you get ready for a prime, you can usually sell it for about what you paid for it.

Good luck.

5. Hi Nick,

I would encourage you to find birds in an area without man made objects. Nature photography, if at all possible, should be shot without man made distractions. Now that said, it is good that you are out there giving it your best shot. All really good bird photographers had to start out someplace and they continue to improve with practice.

You might try some bird feeders in your yard to attract our feathered friends. Use your longest lens and sit quietly in the area of your feeders. Small birds are the hardest to photograph it seems to me but I also think they are the most rewarding. Good luck.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Glad to see you're continuing your pursuit of bird photography, Nick! Don't get discouraged with your low keeper ratio - it will improve with more practice.

When I first started shooting birds last year, I had a very low keeper ratio. Several thousand shots later, I'm still learning something every time I shoot and have significantly improved my keeper ratio. But I'm still a long way from where I want to be.

Small birds are the most difficult since you need to get closer or have longer glass, and they tend to move faster. There's lots of great advice in other replies here, so try a few of the suggestions and keep on shooting! Keep posting your results here, too -- this is a great place to get lots of good feedback!

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Nick
    Everything everyone has said is all 100% correct
    Keep shooting them birdies, it requires constant practice, what fun!! :smile:

I'm actually not fond of feeders either, you could try wild bird seed and throw it in likely areas around your backyard, just a thought :wink: