Another unscientific D50 test... vs Fuji S3 this time

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bwilder10h, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I just aquired the S3 and before it came, I read a few threads on another site that said the S3 has some trouble with focus in lower light situations and that was quite the understatement... :rolleyes:

My office is hardly low light, I have one complete wall that is nothing but glass and today is a bright sunny day. I also have two large flourescent light fixtures that have three bulbs each in them.

So not to prove anything but just show some differences, here goes...

D50, auto white balance, ISO800, all basic settings for color, contrast, sharpness, etc
    [​IMG]

Fuji S3, auto white balance, ISO800, same standard settings - clearly unable to figure out the white balance that the D50 nailed and blowing the focus which was on the main power cable that goes to the motherboard, next to the video card.
    [​IMG]

Same settings for the next two... focal point was my shades.

D50
    [​IMG]

S3 - again, a yellowish cast to the missed white balance and for some reason it decided to pick the strap to the left instead my sunglasses to focus on :mad:
    [​IMG]

Again, not trying to prove anything other than the D50 is a nice camera for the dollar and having some fun. :wink:

2. Hi Brian

Sorry, no can help with the WB settings, I never used the S3 for interior shots. My guess is that a custom WB is probably in order. I also only used RAW captures which minimizes WB issues. :tongue:

I thought the focus was good but I only used the camera in outdoor lighting. Perhaps a F2.8 lens for interior shots to help with focus accuracy. :confused:

Gotta agree with you on the D50. It's an amazing little camera.

Regards
    JohnG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. It really is... continues to blow me away... :smile:

4. Brian

You should shoot TOlady a PM and ask her about indoor WB and focus optomization. She's used her S3 for a long time and has posted very nice pics here.

Good luck
    JohnG

5. laawaaris

laawaaris Guest

yeah i love my d50 - everytime i think about selling it, i find that i still have it in my hands when i'm shooting!