Another update, another partition

Every time MS rolls out a major update to WIndows 10, I end up with another phantom partition on my drive:

***.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am finding somewhat conflicting info on the value of these. I assume the most recent version of 10, 1903, only needs the partition that was created during its install and I could probably delete the other two. I'm typically a fan of leaving well enough alone and so I plan to leave things as they are.

My real question: When I create an image of my OS, do I need to include these recovery partitions too? And if I only need to include the most recent, which one would that be?

Thanks.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Suggestion.
1. Make a backup of the whole drive using Macrium Reflect Free (to an external drive).
2. Delete all but the first partition.
3. Check the machine still boots!
4. Extend the first partition to fill the disk.
5. While you are at it, convert it to UEFI if it isn't already.
6. Reboot.
So after a few hours work you now have 24GB more storage.

PS. I just realised you have a tiny disk. Maybe that is an SSD and doesn't have your data on it, just the OS? Otherwise I would buy a much bigger disk. I use 8TB spinners now, and 512GB SSDs for the software. Or 1TB SSD on laptops/computers that can only have one internal drive.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My Disk Manager does not have any 'Recovery Partition' blocks. What do you use for backup, to create the OS image? I've been using Acronis True Image for 20 years, saved my arse a lot of times.
Computer manufacturers and Microsoft can install them to allow the user to get the computer back to how it left the factory.

Real Name
Don
I'm probably not the best person to advise the masses on retail boxes since I have minimal experience with mfg's bloatware. I've built my own PCs with clean Windows installs for 30 years (my last store-bought PC was an IBM PS2 in 1985).

Last edited:
Suggestion.
1. Make a backup of the whole drive using Macrium Reflect Free (to an external drive).
2. Delete all but the first partition.
3. Check the machine still boots!
4. Extend the first partition to fill the disk.
5. While you are at it, convert it to UEFI if it isn't already.
6. Reboot.
So after a few hours work you now have 24GB more storage.

PS. I just realised you have a tiny disk. Maybe that is an SSD and doesn't have your data on it, just the OS? Otherwise I would buy a much bigger disk. I use 8TB spinners now, and 512GB SSDs for the software. Or 1TB SSD on laptops/computers that can only have one internal drive.
The drive is an SSD for only the OS and apps. It still has about 180 GB free, so it's not too small for its job. It started life as one partition plus the unallocated space for over-provisioning. The extra partitions were created by Windows updates 1709, 1803, and now, 1907 (edit: 1903?) i.e., for every new update I get a new "recovery" partition — so it's Microsoft who thinks I need these things, not an OEM. The partitions don't really bother me or hurt anything, so I think I'll err on the side of caution, leave them alone and continue to image them all along with the OS as I have been doing.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The drive is an SSD for only the OS and apps. It still has about 180 GB free, so it's not too small for its job. It started life as one partition plus the unallocated space for over-provisioning. The extra partitions were created by Windows updates 1709, 1803, and now, 1907 i.e., for every new update I get a new "recovery" partition — so it's Microsoft who thinks I need these things, not an OEM. The partitions don't really bother me or hurt anything, so I think I'll err on the side of caution, leave them alone and continue to image them all along with the OS as I have been doing.
Very sensible, exactly what I would do. If the day comes when you are desperate for space then you could do as I suggested.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom