Another use for the SU800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 2, 2007.

1. I'm a fanboy for the su800, and my mission is to get all my friends to buy one... even if they don't have a camera :866:. So I'll continue to make posts about its usefulness until I run out of superlatives... which won't be any time soon :wink:.

I covered an event recently that called for two entirely different approaches at the same time. It was a ceremony particular to the Bengali people, called a Gaye Holud. The bride and groom were seated at a raised dias, and people approached them to offer their good wishes, so I created a "portable studio" to capture those interactions over the course of the evening.

But I also needed to cover the table shots and festivities taking place. My first approach was to use 2 cameras... the d200 with the su800 on it for the "studio", and the d70 with a hotshoe mounted sb600 and a bounce card. But I wanted to use the 28-70 for both cameras, so there was a lot of switching... and I wasn't using my best camera for the non-studio stuff :frown:.

But then I had an epiphany, and put the sb600 in my pants pocket :Guns:.

I shot the "studio" stuff with the d200/28-70/su800...

View attachment 109265

and when I wanted to cover the action off-stage, I just swapped the su800 in the hotshoe for the sb600 + ABetterBounce card.

View attachment 109266

The swap was easier and faster than changing cameras or lenses, and it made it easy to use my best camera and best event lens for both sets of images :biggrin:.

Party on with the su800 and CLS!!!

View attachment 109267

2. What you didn't use your CB JR flash bracket with the SU-800?? Shame on you Uncle Frank. :rolleyes:

Just FYI, I ordered an SU-800 yesterday at least partially due to your frequent praise of that product and examples of its use.

3. As I have said in another thread, this is a dangerous web site ... it makes me broke. It has already convinced me to buy another speedlight (SB-800) and now I am tempting to get a SU-800 to play around with ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  4. Good images Frank. Nikon's CLS is neat and insures good pictures almost every time (with the proper settings). Like Frank, I am a fan of the SU800 as well.

5. Ditto!!!!

I have a CB Jr but have been debating on a RRS Perfect portrait flash bracket. After that I start to save up for either another body or a 70-200 lens.

6. Once you get the 70-200, you will be tempted to get the 200 f/2. :biggrin: Oh well, never ending NAS.:wink:

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

great lighting.

As I'm learning, please explain the opaque black umbrella image left. What does the opaque fabric add? Is the strobe head actually inside the umbrella sealed off on the rear? If so I imagine that this is to intensify the volume of light coming out the front....am I close?

8. If my wife ever found out how much all this stuff really costs I'd be in BIG trouble.

9. There's a silver lining on the other side of the black material of the umbrella at frame left. So most of light that bounces back from the white layer on the first pass is reflected forward again. Umbrellas that use this arrangement are called "brolly boxes", and are more efficient than starndar shoot through umbrellas.

10. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Nice going, Uncle Frank. Keep the lessons coming, I really enjoy and learn from these.

Fred, 70-200 gets my vote, not that you asked :)

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Standar?

12. I think he meant "standard". Of course if you already knew that and were poking fun at him, by all means continue ;-)

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

na, I'm just slow today...gotta virus or something.

14. Stephanie, its on my dream sheet :biggrin: