Another view of a very cold lighthouse

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Bohdan, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Here's another angle of the lighthouse in Thunder Bay harbour from this morning.

[​IMG]

Just before it became semi-visible...this is what the harbour looked like.

[​IMG]

Comments are welcomed..in my previous post I would be curious as to why some thought that the lighthouse image was good...compared to the others.
    Can only learn from feedback.

Thanks

Bob

2. Thanks Phil...I like your signature!

Bob

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That lighthouse shot is really great. Love the way the fog is.

The second one looks like a tremendous wave with the sun peeking over the top.
    (I know it is fog ) :>))

I will have to go back and look a the other lighthouse again.

4. Thanks Gale...It was a beautiful sight ...very early this morning.

bob

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Bob, I like the lighthouse shot (didn't see the other one). The only suggestion I could come up with would be to lower the brightness of the foreground ice(?) a little, say 10 percent, to achieve better overall balance. (One of those subjective things)

[Is that an ice fog? I've heard of such things, but have never had the pleasure:wink: of experiencing one.]

6. thanks for the suggestions Bob....

And yes that is ice fog...a phenomenum that is common around here at this time of year.

bob

7. Nope, love the original.

8. Bob,

For me, both pictures are «expressive». The first inspires mystery and fear : the lighthouse looks like a dark mysterious boast suddenly emerging from the fog (it reminds me of a scene in the film Master and Commander : the far side of the world). The second looks like running wild fire over the top of a gigantic wave.

9. Thanks for your comments Dao

bob

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great photo Bob...

11. Thanks Dave.

Bob

12. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Bob,

I saw your first lighthouse picture and really liked it, not so much for the technical merits, the subject matter, or the colors, which I think are all fine, but for the feelings it evokes in me of isolation, loneliness, foreboding, and even fear (as Dao also mentions). In the second version all of these feelings seem amplified. Probably because with the lighthouse further to the right the journey over the narrow strip of land, away from the fog, and back to safety is longer.

I like both but the second seems stronger to me.

Gene A

13. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I very much like number 1..

14. Thanks Gene...
    I tend to agree...I like this one as well for the mood that it evokes in me ....Interestingly enough while my wife and I were taking these pictures the strongest feelings we had were wonder and awe at the strength and mystery of nature...and a sense of expectation of an even greater splendour to come ...waiting for the sun in all of it's splendor...unfortunately the sun didn't come out until much later in the day..... so did I capture the moment or did I present something that evoked something totally different? I suppose what is important though is what you get out of it individually....

Bob

15. Thanks for your reply Randy.

Bob

16. #1 is pretty sweet.. Not sure about #2 though.. Where did the lighthouse go? A ghost? vanished? Mirage? :

17. The light house was overwhelmed.....actually the second part was how it looked before the lighthouse became more visible..

bob

18. Very nicely done!!! Especially like the first one.

19. Thanks again Don

Bob