Another Visit to Greenspring, with a twist!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Greenspring garden is a free county-run park near where I live in northern Virginia. It's a wonderful place to shoot (and the ponds will reopen August 1!). They have some very unusual specimens to shoot. On my most recent trip, however, I trotted out the 200/2VR (this is the twist!) with CP, and 1.4 TC; tripod mounted on the D300. What a wonderful combination. Here are a few of the highlights.

1. "Giant" Hibiscus f/13, 1/25.

71708grnsp1-vi.jpg

2. ???? f2.8, 1/1000. NO TC

71708grnsp4-vi.jpg

3. Daylily f2.8, 1/640

71708grnsp3-vi.jpg

4. Cardoon f/8, 1/100

71708grnsp2-vi.jpg

2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich,
    Wonderful set, if I had to choose.... I'd have to say #4 is my first choice followed by #3. Really nice.

3. Very lovely shots. I love #3 - great DOF and #4 is very nice also.

4. Beautiful series, Rich!

#2 is some weird looking flower...

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautifull shots but the last one is wow. Wonderful light on this one.

6. Thank you Paul, the 200/2 produces some awfully nice bokeh. I think I have some even better ones of the Cardoon, I'll check on that later tonight.

Thanks Birgit, I really liked that one as well.

Thanks Jukka! Yes, this garden always seems to have something unusual/surprising to shoot. Fun place to go for quick trip, and I am hoping for a good dragonfly shooting place when the ponds reopen to the public in early august.

Thanks Torben, I had never seen those before. Very cool plant and the bees were just going nuts on them.

7. Nice work, Rich. I agree with Paul, #4 is my favorite followed by #3. Thanks for sharing.

8. Thanks for visiting Tom, and for leaving such a kind comment!

9. Hey Rich,

Very nice work. I think I agree with others - 4 is probably my favorite followed by number 3. I'm going to have to pay a visit to Greenspring. Thanks much for sharing.

10. #4 for me, as well
    i love this series
    the 200/2 is a great lens for this kind of work
    but... with the TC-14... i'm going to have to try that as well

still don't have the CP, YET

11. Thanks Steven, it is a very nice spot, and the price is right. I thought things might be a little cooked right now, but there was plenty to keep me busy. They have some ponds that have been closed all season and are about to open up. Not sure if they attract dragons or not, but could be fun there for that as well.

Thanks Greg! I had also brought my 105VR along but it stayed in the bag as I was having so much fun. I want to try the 200/2 with tubes as well... I thought the CP worked very well, and with that noon-time sun, it help cut down on the harsh light. I think you would have a lot of use for it in Clearwater...

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Very nice work, Rich. That second one looks similar to a cleome (spider plant), but I'm not certain.

13. All are nice, but 4 really stands out.

What does CP stand for??

14. Rich,
    excellent shots, something tells me your gonna love the FX sensor.
    just a hunch. : )
    Kevin P.

15. Thanks for looking Tom. I thought I had a better one of the Cardoon (#4), but now I think the one posted was best. CP = circular polarizer.

Thanks Kevin, as I was shooting these, I was imagining how different things would be with the FX cam. I am really looking forward to it. It will be great for this kind of work... As least I think it will! It will be an adjustment for sure, but I am up for it. I just hope I get mine soon before the semester starts... Fall is always crazy for me, as I teach more students, and need to orient our new doctoral students as well... TMI... :redface:

16. Thanks Bob. I could not find a name plate near that plant. And there was just one!

17. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely work Rich, the bokeh and IQ you get from the 200/2 is just divine. The background on number 3 almost looks like a painting.

Thanks for showing these, I look forward to seeing more from this optical combo soon.

18. Great series Rich...I'm with the group. I love the light in #4.
    Looks like you are having a great summer!
    Barb

19. These are beautiful! What a great idea, using the 200mm f/2 to shoot flowers! Hm..... As others have said, that fourth shot is just outstanding. They all are but that one is a real winner!