1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Another voice for faster focusing

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Allan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I for one have been wondering if the D700 has the lag seen in hte D300 or whether it focuses like the D3. Today I got an email from Smartshooters.com - Will Crockett says:

Although the tech specs for the autofocus systems between the 300 and 700 are nearly identical, I can tell you that the D700 does autofocus faster and offer less misfocus delays, particularly using long lenses, by about 20%. That one is a big deal for me.

Full article here.

2. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Allan - are you going to trade up or wait for the D3_?

3. I really want a DX camera with better focusing. I do not know if such a beast will be coming out in the near future. I definitely do not want an FX camera for what I shoot. I have the 400 with a 1.7 on the camera all the time up here. I suppose an FX camera with a 12 mp FX crop could be tempting except for the price it will cost.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    It's making me log in to read that article? :confused: 

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

what say u, Francis? does your 700 focus better and faster than your 300 did?

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Aye aye, Captain! Sure does :smile:

7. It basically says IQ is about the same at regular iso, but the focus is faster - no lag - enough reason for him to get one.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

there ya go. another reason i passed on the 300 and glad i did
    :Love:

9. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    That's some pretty compelling info. Now all I need to do is decide which major organ I'm going to sell to fund the purchase.

10. My D300 has lag

Guys

Interesting comments. I always thought the D300 has issues with the focus acquisition. I guess it is OK..... One thing for sure NO MATTER what any NIKON guy will tell me..... I no longer will trust them. Two thousand dollars wasted..... on a camera that I was mislead to believe was a Junior D3.

My friend came here a few days ago with the D700 and we noticed some vignetting with the 70-200mm VR lens.

Elliot

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Interesting comment, I for one never thought the D300 was a junior D3, did a rep tell you this or something?

Wade

12. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Plus, and I sincerely mean this with all due respect, "...Junior D3"? Unless you bought it on release day, the compromises have all been well documented. It is a SUPERB camera, but it is what it is - and it's NOT a DX D3. It IS, however, Nikon's top of the line DX body - and hardly a waste of 2 grand.

13. It was not billed as a junior D3, but we early adopters thought it would be an improvement over the D2X in all areas. In many ways it is, but the D2X did not have this lag. That is all I find wrong with Nikon's pitch. Other things were problems that were addressed with firmware.

14. I purchased the D300 one week after it came out. There was a Nikon sales rep at the camera place. The guy didn't say it was a Junior D3 but highly emphasized on all the "Virtues" and D3 similarities of this wonderful camera.

It is very frustrating been under the final turn of an F22 as he is banking left at about 45 degrees and pitching down quite aggresively while turning to end up on short final of an overhead landing pattern, the guy was waving at me..... he was posing for my camera....! and the darn camera was to slow to focus... all I got was the tail of the plane.... He was doing touch and go and on the next one the story got repeated, the kid was waving at me, it could have been a perfect shot and my camera was not focusing fast enough. I kept pressing the shutter but it was to late.

The camera is not bad in many respects, but not a BIF camera, and this was a big magnesium / aluminum bird. Two months after that event I was at the beach and there was a Coast Guard helicopter and the same story repeated once again. This was a slow big orange bird. I though it was me and even asked on this forum for advise. I received many different ideas, tried them all.... my conclusion is that the camera is slow.... for me it is the end of this chapter....!

My friend with the D3 was not having these problems. Nikon stated on all the early brochures that this camera had the same focusing system as the D3. I don't think that is a very accurate statement, perhaps even a little mis-leading.

What bugs me, instead of fixing the problem they have now introduced another camera and expect people to keep buying bodies after bodies. It is just like the PC industry.... I don't mind buying a new body every so often but at least they should keep these bodies valid for a year.... and perhaps during that time they should correct the bugs rather than introducing a new camera.

It is almost to the point that they are introducing cameras with known issues. I have been using Nikon since the F2 way back in 1973-1974. Nikon is OK, but lately they are just to aggressively pushing cameras after cameras with real minor improvements.

In the last 4.5 years I have purchased D70, D80, D200 and D300 and not to mention about 16 lenses and all these SB-800's. If the say the focus system of the D300 was the same as the one on the D3.... at least they should have similar acquisition times with no delay on the D300 focusing abilities.

I guess next time I will wait a while before buying a camera and certainly will have an initial lack of trust on whatever they say..... Like Fenton said once, Nikon reads this forum....! Well I hope they read my comments...!

In the meantime the camera is much much better than the F2 of 1973 and perhaps it is my fault to buy to quickly before the reports started coming out.

Thanks
    Elliot

15. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Elliot, if you visit the Bird's forum you'll find a lot of people using the D300 for BIF.

While I agree that sometmes the D3/D700 lock on the target faster than the D300 I can't imagine that the D300 would miss a helicopter! For my BIF shoots I can usually get focus in about 3-4 frames if I can keep the target in the center of the view finder. Maybe you should get Nikon to check your camrea to make sure.

16. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I can say one thing with absolute certainty - it focuses faster than my D200!
    :tongue:

17. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1 :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.