Another way to look at sunflowers...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Shot at (only) f/11, i was very surprized to see that, despite the "macro" distance, the clouds on the background came out far less blured than i would have thought !
    Fuji S2 with Tamron SP90 - 1:90 @ f/11 with SB-80DX as fill-in - ISO 100
    original.

As for this one, it's the heart of a sunflower, though not yet open ! I quite liked the various shades of green...
    Fuji S2 with Tamron SP90 - 1:90 @ f/11 with SB-80DX as fill-in - ISO 100
    original.

Comments, critics ?

Cheers,
    Jean-Pierre

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Beautiful detail and colors. I prefer the first picture, for the wonderful colors and the tonal range. Exposure and lighting are right on to target.

Thanks for posting!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful shots Jean-Pierre. I agree with you that the sky and cloud background really makes the first one unique. :wink:

4. Hi Heiko and Frank !

Thanks for the kind words !

Funny thing is that the first pic has been converted and saved in sRGB, as though the second one (as 99.9 % of my pics) is in Adobe RGB, following my PC color profile... I had to "cool down" the contrasts and colors, as when directly converted in sRGB, the colors are really too strong and absolutly un-natural ! (in fact, the sky is evidently too dark blue and the yellow of the leaves is also too strong). I allways wonder wich is "better": true colors or "good-looking" vivid ones !

Cheers,
    J-P.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well obviously, good-looking vivid ones. :lol:

(Unless you are shooting for a textbook or an encyclopedia....;-)).

6. Right, but don't you, as a photographer, find the pic too "pop-art", i mean to "worked", and not natural at all ? Exemple: the "greens" of the second pic are much more TRUE than the ones on the first pic !

I, as a photographer, prefer it less "artsy", but if i try to look at it as a "simple" viewer, i like the sRGB because it pops out !

Ohhhh well, my "other self" is coming back... time to get my medicine :lol: !

Cheers,
    J-P.