Another weird thing with my Z7ii

Real Name
Don Risi
I have a Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF lens. Anyone who has one knows that like all of Nikon's more expensive big glass, this lens has a "Memory set" button used to set a focus distance, and 4 buttons around the front of the barrel that will recall that memorized focus distance.

Some time after the v1.01 firmware update, I noticed that whenever I press ANY of those buttons -- the "Memory set" button or any of the 4 around the barrel, the camera will change from any AF mode I might have it in to MF. If I then lightly press the back AF-ON button, it immediately goes back to the AF mode I had selected.

I have a friend who has a Z6ii and 500mm f/5.6 PF lens, and he reports he does not have this problem.

I have performed the most recent firmware update to 1.10, but it still does it.

Anyone hear of, or experience, such a thing? If so, what have you done to rectify the situation.

I had a recollection of the same behavior on my Z7, so I went back and tested again with the 500 PF. Saw exactly what you described- A switch to MF when you press the lens button and return to AF with BBF press.

Real Name
Don Risi
Have you checked f2 (custom control assignment)?

Specifically, have you customized the behavior of L-Fn and L-Fn2?

Thanks, and I have customized both, but I don't see what they have to do with this problem. Could you elaborate? I am talking specifically about the buttons on the lens affecting the camera's AF/MF focus mode.

Real Name
Andy
It’s just a guess, but I think there might be interference between the f2 setting and the default function of those buttons on the lens. When I get home later, I’ll experiment a bit with my 500PF to see if I can replicate your problem.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, but that does not address this problem.
Steve's book on AF probably does address the settings that are giving you problems.....I have his AF book for DSLR's and it covers the lens buttons and options for setting them. YMMV..............

Real Name
Don Risi
It’s just a guess, but I think there might be interference between the f2 setting and the default function of those buttons. When I get home later, I’ll experiment a bit with my 500PF to see if I can replicate your problem.

It really should have nothing to do with it, but I'll reset them to factory settings, and try it. If that IS the problem, that negates the usefulness of being able to reprogram those buttons. Again, thanks.
Steve's book on AF probably does address the settings that are giving you problems.....I have his AF book for DSLR's and it covers the lens buttons and options for setting them. YMMV..............

I have that book also, and I have the buttons on the lens set correctly. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Real Name
Andy
It really should have nothing to do with it, but I'll reset them to factory settings, and try it. If that IS the problem, that negates the usefulness of being able to reprogram those buttons. Again, thanks.
I did a little testing with two variables, one on the 500PF lens and one in the f2 menu on the camera (a Z 7, but probably still applicable to the Z 7 II):
  • On the lens, I varied the setting of the slide switch between its three marked detents (AF-L / Memory Recall / AF-ON)
  • In the camera Custom Setting Menu f2 (Custom Control Assignment) I tried assigning various functions to L-Fn, which affects the four buttons on the outer ring (although it is not depicted that way in the graphic that appears on the camera LCD)
Results with the three different positions of the slide switch on the lens:
  • Selecting AF-ON disables the custom setting specified for L-Fn; pressing any of the four buttons on the outer ring activates AF for the selected focus target. (Just as one would expect)
  • Selecting Memory Recall also disables custom settings for L-Fn, and enables presetting a focal target distance with the button on the rearmost ring of the lens. (Also as expected)
  • Selecting AF-L enables the custom setting specified for L-Fn; now, pressing any of the four buttons on the outer ring activates the function programmed in Custom Setting Menu -> Controls -> f2 -> L-Fn -> [user selection]
FWIW, I think this system logic is quite reasonable, and lets you readily switch between three different functions for the buttons on the outer ring of the lens. Two of those three are predetermined, and one is up to you to set in the camera menu.

I was not able to determine how to get any customization of L-Fn2 to be engaged from any button on the lens.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
Don Risi
I did a little testing with two variables, one on the 500PF lens and one in the f2 menu on the camera (a Z 7, but probably still applicable to the Z 7 II):
  • On the lens, I varied the setting of the slide switch between its three marked detents (AF-L / Memory Recall / AF-ON)
  • In the camera Custom Setting Menu f2 (Custom Control Assignment) I tried assigning various functions to L-Fn, which affects the four buttons on the outer ring (although it is not depicted that way in the graphic that appears on the camera LCD)
Results with the three different positions of the slide switch on the lens:
  • Selecting AF-ON disables the custom setting specified for L-Fn; pressing any of the four buttons on the outer ring activates AF for the selected focus target. (Just as one would expect)
  • Selecting Memory Recall also disables custom settings for L-Fn, and enables presetting a focal target distance with the button on the rearmost ring of the lens. (Also as expected)
  • Selecting AF-L enables the custom setting specified for L-Fn; now, pressing any of the four buttons on the outer ring activates the function programmed in Custom Setting Menu -> Controls -> f2 -> L-Fn -> [user selection]
FWIW, I think this system logic is quite reasonable, and lets you readily switch between three different functions for the buttons on the outer ring of the lens. Two of those three are predetermined, and one is up to you to set in the camera menu.

I was not able to determine how to get any customization of L-Fn2 to be engaged from any button on the lens.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for going through all of that, but it still doesn't answer my question.

If you'd be so kind, try one more thing for me --

1. Set the camera to AF-C, and any of the AF modes that go with that.
2. Leave the L-Fn buttons all unassigned.
3. Set the slide switch on the lens to Memory Recall.
4. Press the Memory Set button on the side of the camera.
5. Without touching anything else, check to see if the camera is still in AF-C, or if it has changed to MF mode.

Let me know what you find.

Again, thanks.

Real Name
Andy
Thanks for going through all of that, but it still doesn't answer my question.
LOL. I just re-read your OP and see that I went straight down an unnecessary rabbit hole!

If you'd be so kind, try one more thing for me --
5. Without touching anything else, check to see if the camera is still in AF-C, or if it has changed to MF mode.
It does say that it changed to MF - but the camera really remains just as ready to resume AF-C as if it stated that. Unlike a DSLR, where we physically manipulate a switch to change between MF and AF modes, all focus mode changes on the Z bodies are made "by wire."

For simplicity, I'll assume that you are activating focus with the AF-ON button only but all of the following would be true if you use a half press of the shutter release to activate AF.

After you let go of the AF-ON button (or release your half-press of the shutter release button), you are effectively in MF on a DSLR until you re-activate AF by pressing AF-ON. After you press the Memory Set button on a Z, the camera displays MF, but the moment you press AF-ON, AF is activated and the previously selected AF Mode and Target Area appear in the EVF. Even though MF was displayed, AF was armed, just as available as it was before the Memory Set was pressed.

Real Name
Don Risi
LOL. I just re-read your OP and see that I went straight down an unnecessary rabbit hole!

It does say that it changed to MF - but the camera really remains just as ready to resume AF-C as if it stated that. Unlike a DSLR, where we physically manipulate a switch to change between MF and AF modes, all focus mode changes on the Z bodies are made "by wire."

For simplicity, I'll assume that you are activating focus with the AF-ON button only but all of the following would be true if you use a half press of the shutter release to activate AF.

After you let go of the AF-ON button (or release your half-press of the shutter release button), you are effectively in MF on a DSLR until you re-activate AF by pressing AF-ON. After you press the Memory Set button on a Z, the camera displays MF, but the moment you press AF-ON, AF is activated and the previously selected AF Mode and Target Area appear in the EVF. Even though MF was displayed, AF was armed, just as available as it was before the Memory Set was pressed.

Excellent!! Thank you!! You're the FIRST person who has been able to answer this question for me.

Yes, I do use AF-ON (back button focus) exclusively, and now it all makes sense.

Again, thanks. Much appreciated!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom