Another "What bag?" Question...Long lens users....

I have been toying with getting a bag specifically for the 500mm with body. The Sigma 500 is slightly smaller than a Nikon 200-400VR. I have been using the lame green storage case the Sigma came in, but would prefer something more appropriate and something that can handle the lens with D300 or D700 + grip attached...

But I would love it could be used for other purposes as well... Considering the Think Tank Glass Taxi.. but not sure what other options are out there.. Backpack style would be best, provisions to add on side pouches (I modified the LowePro Toploader to accept TT modules so brand isn't critical..I'll get it to work).

As an alternative, I might try one of the Nikon OE lens bags...they seem to have some flexibility in them...

What are you loong lens users carrying your rig in?

Michael,

I'm thinking along the same lines. Right now, I store my 400 2.8, mounted on the D3 with a 1.7 TC, in a LowePro PhotoTrekker. It is an excellent bag for sure, but it isn't something that I want to carry on multi-mile shooting hikes. I'm looking for a better solution, and I'll follow this thread with interest.

Thanks for starting it up. :smile:

I have a Tenba long lens bag that I used for my 400 2.8 with body attached and have the harness for it to carry it like a backback. Worked well until I tried to put it on over a big coat without adjusting the harness. Ripped the loop that held the lower "D" ring that the harness clipped to. I never bothered to get it fixed(have no idea what Tenba would charge) and used the shoulder strap. But then I ran across the Kinesis line and ordered one of there long lens bags. http://www.kgear.com/l/
Since the rules changed about posting for sale, I still have a few more posts to make before I can offer it, but if your interested in the Tenba, just let me know.

Another vote for the Kinesis, can't beat having a lightweight bag that still provides protection. Just make sure you order a waistbelt.

Mike, I have been using the Kinesis Products for a number of years now. I have the belt, shoulder harness and Long Lens bag with an extended top so I can carry my 400f2.8 with a Sigma hood an TC attached. I like them because I can attache the harness when I need it and clip it to the belt to distribute weight off my shoulers to my hips. The products are well designed and overbuilt. I often have trouble navigation the web site :redface:, but a quick call to Kinesis results in quick answers.

I'm glad to see others in the thread who like Kinesis.

Think Tank products are good, I stated with Kineses before Think Tank was around, and I like the variety they have.

W

Wileec

The backpack style bag I use is the LowePro Slingshot 300AW and it allows me to have my D300 with the Tamron 200-500 mounted, plus room for the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, and my other smaller lenses, extra doodads, cards, batteries, and room for snacks. There are two areas apart from the main storage compartment, which is customizable, so it works pretty well. And the waist belt is beefy enough to handle a water bottle carrier, or two, also.

When I am doing more serious day-hiking, where I need extra clothing, etc. I use regular Lowe daypacks, as the support system is better and more room - and more comfortable, with even nicer hip belt and shoulder pads.

That Kinesis line-up looks awesome. Thinking way, way, way down the line, I'm looking to have a D700 with a mounted 300 2.8 VR and TC, with a Gitzo 3541LS strapped to the side. Ideally, it would be nice to carry a couple other small lenses along as well. My question for Kinesis owners, are the long-lens bags bike-friendly? I've never ridden with a waistbelt on, and wasn't sure if that load would be too big without a waistbelt. Additionally, did you purchase the bag that allows your lens to sit with the hood mounted for shooting, or reverse mounted?

Latest threads

Top Bottom