Another - What Monitor to Buy Thread

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by TomD., Jul 18, 2007.

1. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    I am looking to buy an LCD monitor to replace my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070
    #1. Budget: up to $1000
    #2 Must be LCD
    #3 Must be able to Calabrate color and brightness
    The ability to Calabrate is more important then screen size.
    I have looked through past threads but wanted throw my requirements out there for any recommendations that meet #1,#2, #3
    Thanks for looking and any suggestions you may have.
    Tom

2. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I went through this same dilemma a few months ago. After much coaching from cafe members, and wading through a myriad of suggestions, I settled on the Apple 23" ACD. I love it. It meets all your criteria. I calibrate mine with an eye one display.

Good luck. Seems that there are a lot of good options out there.:biggrin:

3. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a PC guy. Are you PC or Mac?
    Also, do you have link or date of your thread?
    Thanks,
    Tom

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm in a similar position as the OP. I would like to share my research so far. I hope it is helpful.

Both my CRT monitor and my 18 year old Sony TV are dying slow deaths. I want to replace both with an eye to editing pictures on the monitor for slide shows at HD-like resolution on the TV. Price is important as I should also replace the PC due to lack of speed, memory and a DVI or HDMI port on the graphics card (needed for full resolution). I'm looking at three monitors and two TVs.
    The monitors
    20.1"w: NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2, 1680x1050 (16:10)
    (Recommnded on Anandtech.com monitor thread) $480 at Newegg
    and
    The 20” NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi-BK-SV, a flat-panel monitor with SpectraViewII™ Color Calibration Solution. The color calibration software and colorimeter for this ultra-thin-frame display allow it to achieve 70% of NTSC and 69% of Adobe RGB.
    (from NECUSA website) $1350
    and
    NEC LCD2690WUXiSV
    26" monitor achieves 96% of aRGB gamut
    $1900

The 40" TVs are
    The Sony KDL-40V2500 LCD TV,
    And
    Samsung LN-T4065F LCD TV
    They can be had for $1700 on sale

The question I have is whether or not it is worth the extra money to get one of the more expensive monitors?

6. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Terri,
    That is an awesome thread. Thanks so much!
    Tom

7. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Howard, thanks for the info. I am researching the NEC further.
    Tom

8. Just my two bits worth.

I currently use an Eizo 240 (24" cinema) next to an Apple 23". I've only ever seen this one Eizo. I see many Apple displays on most days.

The Eizo is sharper. The Eizo leans warm, regardless of calibration, as compared to the Apple, which leans pink/blue. The Eizo is also a touch brighter.

Ie, the Eizo remains the nicest screen I have ever used.

Outside of your stated budget, and I don't really know if one is more accurate than the other. But it is obvious which one I prefer.

9. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    After much research and comparison, I've decided on the NEC 2690. For the extra $$ I will welcome the extra real estate of the 26" and image quality is excellent. NEC is in the process of releasing a hood for this monitor too.

10. SWDan

SWDan

Jul 20, 2006
    Edgewood, NM, USA
    Have any of you folks looked at Samsung? I've used several and have been real happy with them, I'm currently using the SynMaster 245BW (24") and its great at about $550.

11. I'm not implying yours isnt great since they are different models and use different panels, but you asked if anyone had looked at Samsung.

I have a calibrated Samsung 225bw, it is a decent monitor but I would never use it for working on photo's. I got it as a second monitor for more real estate and because it was cheap. I do the photo work on my NEC 1980fxi which was not cheap (it also rotates from landscape to portrait) and it matches my printer output very-very closely. Only way to get it to match better would be a custom profile for my printer paper.

12. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

I have an EIZO sitting next to a Samsung LCD monitor. I use the EIZO for my photo work and the Samsung for my general email and such. Both are 24-in widescreen. The Samsung ($500-ish) is less than one-third the price of the EIZO ($1800-ish). I now know the what the practical difference is.

The EIZO CE240W calibrates up perfectly (it does it in hardware) and the screen is unchanged with respect to viewing angle (they claim a 178-degree viewing angle; I have no idea how they do this). The Samsung SyncMaster 245BW, after calibration has a most interesting characteristic: when viewed above "boresight", the color temperture goes cool, and when below it goes warm. I will echo Douglas' comment: I would never use this Samsung for photo work. The EIZO is very highly recommended, however.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  13. SWDan

SWDan

Jul 20, 2006
    Edgewood, NM, USA
    Thanks for the heads-up guys, I had never viewed an EIZO monitor. I'm going to have to find one to look at. As to the price, if it is in the $1800 realm it had better be pretty good, that's more than 3 times the money! For us amateurs including myself the Samsung works fine, now if I were a working pro that would be an entirely different story; don't get me wrong it probably is a better monitor, but the price is rather shocking. After all most "folks" don't want to spend that much for good glass on their cameras.

14. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Decision Made!

After much research and sugestions I decided to get the the 20" Apple Cinema for my PC. I get it home and was showing my wife the box and she said "You probably need something bigger for you photo work" I explain that there is a 23" and explain the price differance. She says "go for it"
    I then mention that there is also a 30" and she just stares.
    Decide not to push my luck and returned the 20 and got the 23".Just love it!!
    Waiting for software to calibrate.
    Tom

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You have a smart wife. I bet she appreciates all the photos you take.

16. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    I just found this massive font of information about LCD screens. It even has recommendations for various applications:

LCD Thread at Anandtech