1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Another "which one" thread... Going for dramatics

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by waltny, Aug 6, 2008.

1. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Ok, which one of the first two shots lend a better composition and does the effect look too "pushed"? I am trying to convey the desolation of this place

original
    _DSC7101-1.
    touched up
    lostsprings001bleachwarm.
    NIKON D70s    ---    50mm    f/8.0    1/500s   

original
    View attachment 235410
    touched up
    View attachment 235411

2. The separation between the building and the sign makes #2 the choice for me. I like the processing.

3. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
  4. I like #2 with the sepia. The tree on the left with the church shows a very good contrast. The sky is amazing and the foreground adds some depth.

5. Lost Springs... Touch-up number 1, but perhaps a touch lighter...

Old church... Touch-up number 1 and 1/2... I like 2, but it's a bit too much sepia for me.

6. I like #1 of the church ....... the first photo I like both versions. Not too over done for my taste.

Regards,

7. Tim,

You asked about composition also. Regarding photo #1, I would have attempted to change the perspective and moved myself to the right to further separate the sign from the house (1/3 and 1/3 lines). Also, I would like to see the house larger wrt the sign (back up and move to the right). Since you are trying to convey the desolation of that place, it is screaming for B&W! :smile: I hope this made some sense. I really like the subject matter and what you are attempting to achieve.

Regrading photo #2, I like the second version a lot, although I would try to correct the twist in the church which bugs me some. I did a quick fix using some distortion correction and horizontal and vertical perspective compensation. Here is the result I got. Is this better to your eye?

[​IMG]

Regards,

8. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Ah yes Barry I was waiting to get a composition feedback. Both of these shots as they are were a challenge.
    The backstory on the lost springs sign is the shot that I almost didnt get. This quaint little setting is literally in no where Wyoming. I was in Rapid City that morning and we were to drive back toward Utah that evening but along the way stopped at Mt Rushmore and a few other spots. Well needless to say I drained the battery. The camera sat there for the next few hours in the cab, apparently long enough to build up a ghost charge... Well on to the scene of the crime.... We are busting along westbound on HW 18 in Wyoming and I saw the sign going west bound but it didnt strike me, but I looked over in the drivers side mirror to see if the eastbound sign said the same thing and I see this shot. I get the guy driving to stop and turn around and we head back. All I got availible at the moment is my 50/1.8 prime and praying for a charge on the battery. I flip it on and it stays on, so gives me hope. I hop up on teh hood of the big government box truck we are driving and try to do some composing on the 1/3rds lines of course and Im leaning back to the driver and say try to get up on the road a tad, ease forward, etc as cars are blowing by us at 70-80mph. It was a sight to see Im sure. So I did what I could and only got 3 shutter clicks, 2 of them being present here. Sometimes we just get what we get I suppose...
    I did try black and white and for some reason it just doesnt come across like this bleach warm copy does, and that is IMHO. Ill post the 2 verisons I got of it in black and white in a bit.

As for the church, that Foreshortening is done on purpose. I shot it with the tokina 12-24/4 rectlilinear wide angle. I took a few with out the pull on the front of the church but it just didnt "pop" in my opinion like this verison did. I also liked the way it showed more of the scene that with my more "normal" lens and I guess I like this effect.

Thanks for the C&C.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  9. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks again to everyone else that has posted. It has pretty much reenforce my own feelings on these shots and pp.

10. Wow Tim, that is a great story and makes both shots extremely special!

I like the lighting of the church photo, but perhaps I wasn't clear what I meant (often happens). If you look at the original, you will notice that the church walls are warped/distorted, the tree in the foreground is tilted, and the telephone pole in the distance is tilted over while being parallel to the far end of the church wall. This gives me a "dizzy" feeling and takes away from the wonderful character of this old structure that you captured. I did not PP other than correct for the distortion and "unwarp" the image using the horz. and vert. perspective controls in CS3. I would like to see with your #2 process on the unwarped image if you think it appropriate. :smile:

I don't have a spare battery for my D3 since it seems to run and run and run, but you having given me a reason to have a spare one now! :wink:

Regards,

11. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    The distortion you are talking about is actually called forshorting(I got a harsh lesson on this once as I was talking about the "distortion" of the tokina lens). Anyhow, I still think I like the original, as to my eye it pulls that front corner down and at the viewer. Ill play around a bit and see what I can come up with though with some correction. Also this old church was/is fenced up and I could just barely get my 12-24 through the slots, so it was another case of getting what you can.

Glad to have your feedback

Im actually thinking of entering these into a local county fair this weekend and seeing what happens...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  12. Good luck! Let us know how you place please.

Regards,

13. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Edit: The effect of the twisting in the church is forshortening :redface: I got in a hurry and misquoted myself.

14. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Here is that black and white shot

lostsprings001bleachwarmbwcopy.

15. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Well I would like to humbly report that in Davis county Utah I won the Human interest division(amature, not getting an income) with this shot from the previous ones

oldruinsagedbw.

The lost springs shot took second in the landscape division

Lastly there is an eagle shot that took first in wildlife.

16. CONGRATULATIONS Tim! :710:

Regards,

17. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks Barry, with as much as we picked it apart and dissected it I was a bit apprehensive about entering it. It turned out ok, I was also glad to chat with you sidebar on this also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.