Another white iris timelapse (update)

This one isn't so different from those I've posted recently in content, but is a test of a new light I just bought to improve consistency between frames. The slight flickering you can see in my timelapse movies.

I am quite happy with the results. QuickTime movie is here, about 9 MB.

This is 225 frames, 5 minutes apart. A single Elinchrom 600RX with a small Chimera softbox and a black "light sink" background. The thing just doesn't reflect any light. You get perfect 0, 0, 0 for the background even if some light hits it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Update: this one is still running. Some 525 frames later (the current movie is 331 frames) the flower looks like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Brian and Randy.

Some more notes of things I've learned along the way:

- flower preservative matters. The flower will have the energy it needs to bloom and look good over the time of the shoot.

- heat is a bad thing for irises. I shot one Friday night using a daylight flourescent, which generates a little bit of heat. Enough to stop blooming in its tracks. I am even trying dropping the occasional ice cube in the water.

- a florist told me to cut irises very low on the stem, just where the stem coming out of the bulb begins to turn green. This provides much more sap and therefore longevity. The flower you see above is still being shot, and I am hopeful it will survive long enough to fire off the second bud waiting at the left.

Truth is I need to grow some irises in smaller pots (the ones you've seen grow in half barrels) so I can shoot them without cutting them. I'm going to be visitng the local nurseries and hunting down some potted flowers to try.

- it is actually hard to predict how fast a flower will bloom. I have watched quite a few irises bloom and it can vary from four hours to 24, starting with what looks like the same thing.

I've been watching some 30 or so rose buds in my back yard for a week and I have yet to understand their behavior. Shooting a rose timelapse is going to take some work.

- even if a lively three year old plows into the tripod, it can be fixed. There are a few corrections in the movie above where some number of frames had to be offset. :biggrin:

My long term goal is to keep working on flower portraits and start to apply Ikebana sorts of arrangement to them, then apply time to that. In my head I have a living elegant arragement of buds that move and grow and compose themselves into something interesting.

B

BigPixel

Ed, I finally followed all your time lapse threads and must say I'm greatly impressed with both the work and your perseverence.

The new lighting is a lot more even but I must admit that I liked the subtle flicker that the other light system produced as well. Added a bit more tension and helped make the connection that the loop was a still frame time lapse rather than a movie.

Very very pretty:>)))))))
Thanks Gale!

Ed, I finally followed all your time lapse threads and must say I'm greatly impressed with both the work and your perseverence.

The new lighting is a lot more even but I must admit that I liked the subtle flicker that the other light system produced as well. Added a bit more tension and helped make the connection that the loop was a still frame time lapse rather than a movie.
My wife actually said something similar. But I wanted to see where I could get. And you should see this one 1600 pixels tall.

I am even pondering doing one in film. Probably Velvia. I'm thinking that will be a lot of work. :eek: I'm also going to try motion control - both the subject and the camera.

Thanks for the compliments and for your thoughts.

B

bob swanson

:eek: I'm also amazed. I haven't seen how the shots were taken. By hand or timer? Fantastic work. bsvirginian:cool:

Beezle,

Your time lapse movies are so much fun!! I am taking notes and hope to try one this summer. We had a frost warning a few days ago, so I still can't get my bulbs in the ground!! Ugh!! I look forward to your next movie.:biggrin:

Thanks everyone.

Update: this one is still running. Some 525 frames later (the first movie is 331 frames) the flower looks like this:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom