Critique Another wine glass bites the dust and this one pricks the finger! -- ADDED SIDE VIEW

Though my wife and I have accidentally broken many wine glasses over the years, I've made only one other photo of a broken glass that has a point on it that is as menacing as this one. By the way, nobody's finger was actually pricked.

EDIT: A second photo of the same broken wine glass has been added to the next post in the thread.

Setup
The background was black velvet (though when using this lighting setup any material in any color including white would have produced the same results). The tabletop (not included in the scene) was transparent glass, which allowed the light to wrap around all sides of the background. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the background was facing away from the subject toward a white wall. A black card with a rectangular hole was in front of the lens to minimize flare, as this lighting setup almost always produces significant flare.

The first capture was as described above. A second capture was made with a red gel attached to the lamp. The top of the subject lit in red in the second capture was moved to the first capture.

Mike 2020-12-12--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I got the idea for this side view, ironically, when I went to my wine refrigerator to retrieve a bottle of wine and saw a view from the side of the setup that was used to capture the first image. The wine refrigerator is in the same small area as my makeshift studio and is only about two feet away from the photography stand.

Setup
The physical setup is the same as the first image; the only change was that the glass was turned about 90 degrees. There was no second capture to make this image because I didn't add the look of blood to the sharp point.

Mike 2020-12-12--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
If I hadn't seen the second image I would never have understood what the first image was Mike . Your lighting created such a different look in #1 that although you have an explanation about the set up, I was suprised to see such a different look of a broken wine glass. So, congrats for your creativity. The second image looks very nice with its shape, the remaining purple color of the wine and the details.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I saw this image shortly after you posted it. I couldn't understand the image either, and decided not to post a comment at that time. Glad I waited. The second image is very nice.! In the first image, the lines of the tip continuing into the center of the glass are confusing for me.

As nice as this is, I am fearful that the Café Drinking Team may question your membership! :D :(

The second shot is very nice, and like Karen and Binnur I appreciate and understand the first one better now.

I need to learn how to light glass. These images are terrific. I especially like the depth of the 2nd one.
To me, I am not sure the red completely works on the first one.
Much like skies, blood is a very particular color and this looks a little off. (Movies never get the color right. I spend too much time working in ER's and seen to much blood.) I would like to see the first image without the red overlay- but that is just me. This is your art. If I saw this hanging in a gallery I would enjoy it just as it is.
gary

Thank you also to Nick and Gary!

Much like skies, blood is a very particular color and this looks a little off.

I would be willing to bet that no more than one in 100 million people have ever seen blood lit this way, so we (including I) don't know what it looks like. Having said that, I prefer the second image. That's not because it doesn't have the blood; it's because I like the composition better.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom