Another Z model soon??

Hogan thinks a DX mirrorless from Nikon is unlikely. Wishful thinking on my part.

As Rick is suggesting, another line of lenses would probably not be practical.

Last edited:
Nikon is in a tough position. Sony and Canon both have sub-$1000 USD APS-C cameras that sell very well and Canon now has a low cost FF MILC as well (Sony uses their previous gen bodies for those price points). I think Nikon needs a sub $1000 USD DX body with Z mount, also a lower price FX Z body that competes with the RP and lastly replace the D750 with an updated F-mount body. I think that will plug all the gaps and then they can go all out with the Z mount.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Sometimes I think Nikon should make a 5nnnn body without a mirror, just put a nice EVF on it and keep the F mount on it. All existing F mount APS-C and FF lenses with chips would work fine, the body would be plenty compact and it might just sell like hotcakes!

Nikon is in a tough position. Sony and Canon both have sub-$1000 USD APS-C cameras that sell very well and Canon now has a low cost FF MILC as well (Sony uses their previous gen bodies for those price points). I think Nikon needs a sub $1000 USD DX body with Z mount, also a lower price FX Z body that competes with the RP and lastly replace the D750 with an updated F-mount body. I think that will plug all the gaps and then they can go all out with the Z mount.
Are you saying a sub 1K DX body just for the price point or because DX has some inherent advantages? Cause that would assume building at least SOME ecosystem of DX Z lenses which I just don't see happening in any time frame before smartphone cameras run the board - at least at the lower end.

My guess is that it will be a $1200 USD FX plastic fantastic with a competent (non S) Z 24-120 (try, try again). The cost saving would come from lowering manufacturing costs and cheaper materials minimal new development costs. If you want weather sealing and a more rugged body, the Z6 would be worth the premium cost.

Real Name
Andy
Are you saying a sub 1K DX body just for the price point or because DX has some inherent advantages? Cause that would assume building at least SOME ecosystem of DX Z lenses which I just don't see happening in any time frame before smartphone cameras run the board - at least at the lower end.

My guess is that it will be a $1200 USD FX plastic fantastic with a competent (non S) Z 24-120 (try, try again). The cost saving would come from lowering manufacturing costs and cheaper materials minimal new development costs. If you want weather sealing and a more rugged body, the Z6 would be worth the premium cost.
If they do make a crop sensor Z, I presume people could use an FTZ to adapt their existing F-mount DX glass. That might be a good strategy to keep current D3xxx/5xxx/7xxx owners “in the family” for the long term.

A lower priced consumer Z5 (24mp, 4k@60fps, built in flash) with an articulated screen would interest many people, especially vloggers, but Nikon have the Z6 which they are pushing as the video camera so a Z5 would undermine Z6 sales, not sure which direction Nikon can take the Z range if they down spec and I am not sure that they want a Z8 out just yet. For me Nikon should focus on getting more lenses out into the marketplace and bring a third camera late 2019 or early 2020.

Making dx Z mount lenses seems like such a waste of that huge flange which is capable of creating a wonderfully big image circle. Much larger than dx needs.
Totally agree, I don't see Nikon having a Z camera with a DX sensor, that would be an illogical decision - why waste that lovely new big mount with a crop sensor? How about a Z8 with a FX+ sensor, say 70mp, the lens mount could take a slightly bigger sensor, compete with the Fuji GFX range which has that market virtually to itself. ;);)

Making dx Z mount lenses seems like such a waste of that huge flange which is capable of creating a wonderfully big image circle. Much larger than dx needs.
Totally agree, I don't see Nikon having a Z camera with a DX sensor, that would be an illogical decision - why waste that lovely new big mount with a crop sensor? How about a Z8 with a FX+ sensor, say 70mp, the lens mount could take a slightly bigger sensor, compete with the Fuji GFX range which has that market virtually to itself. ;);)
I understand your points here. However, with a 1.4x TC my 300/4 PF and D7200 give me 630mm f/5.6 equivalent focal length. Do you think Nikon can do that in a package of the same weight or less with a full frame "Z" camera? The 500/5.6 PF weighs about twice as much as the 300/4, and the Z6 is already almost as heavy as the D7200 (585gm vs 675gm).

I understand your points here. However, with a 1.4x TC my 300/4 PF and D7200 give me 630mm f/5.6 equivalent focal length. Do you think Nikon can do that in a package of the same weight or less with a full frame "Z" camera? The 500/5.6 PF weighs about twice as much as the 300/4, and the Z6 is already almost as heavy as the D7200 (585gm vs 675gm).
Something with that sort of reach is probably not on their radar for a while. You can always get a Z7 and shoot it in DX mode. But with an adaptor and TC that would be so bulky.

Something with that sort of reach is probably not on their radar for a while. You can always get a Z7 and shoot it in DX mode. But with an adaptor and TC that would be so bulky.
Yes, you can do that, or simply crop in post. I have cropped into my D800 files for closeups with great success. Having 45 MP (over my 36) would give you even more cropping ability.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom