Ansel Adams, 126 prints, free exhibit!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vernon t, Oct 14, 2005.

1. OK, no excuses.
    Get a US map. Find Texas. It's the big nation-like thing near the bottom.
    Go.

I'll admit. I'm awe struck.

Free on the UT Austin campus through 1/1/06.

The only problem, a good problem, is that 126 original Ansel's-hands-on-prints are too much for one viewing, for me at least.

After about 30 mouth agape long contemplative stares I was numb.

At first I walked around smugly musing "hmmm...that's not where "I" would have cropped". Then, quickly i fell into an awe-struck humbled state. Simply amazing. I'm only sort of kidding here. My initial reaction was..."I could do that"...then...the stare time lengthened. My appreciation deepened. My eye honed in on the, often deceptively simple, B&W prints....all done by Ansel himself late in his life.

My final word.....wow.

One bonus...in the same room...UT's Gutenberg bible...intact, complete and inches from your fingers in a case. Wow again. I almost missed it.

One more bonus. The world's oldest photo. 1832. The original real thing. The Heliograph or "sun drawing". The Nicephore Niépce camera obscura eight hour exposure(pre VR?) is on permanent display. Double wow.

Lastly...Aggies...all this ain't goin' to College Station...so get over it and go to Austin just this once. Nobody has to know. Wear a disguise if you must, whilst on campus! :cool:

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/current/

Worth every penny even if it wasn't free.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  2. O dear. My wife was in San Antonio for a UT function (her boss was given the 2005 Tom C. Frost Award) and she didn't know about this exhibit. I tried to call her but she had just left for New York. :Depressed

3. Everybody looking at a Picasso exhibition will first say "Pfff, easy stuff! I'm gonna let my kid paint, eBay all the stuff and become rich"... And then once they get out of the museum you can see them all scratching their heads with their livid eyes and probably thinking how they're all useless and worthless beings, working like robots, leaving no space to artistic intelligence in their lives, which usually leads to big things in life IMHO.

The same goes with Adams. The more you look at the prints, the less you understand what's going on and the more you find yourself useless as a photographer :Crunk: :Dizzy:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. I went to see a few years back an exhibition of Ansel Adams prints in Montreal, before that the only exposure to his print was with his books, the original are nothing to compare to his book, the tones and the sharpness are so beautiful. The print that amaze me the most was of a tree covered with ice, the details were extraordinary.

6. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Where at UT?

Vernon,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like it would be worth the 190 mile trip from Houston.

UT is a big campus. Where are the exhibits?

Gary

7. At the Harry Ransom Center 21st and Guadalupe, across the street from Dobie Mall. Southwest corner of the campus. 50 feet in the door just past the amicable guards. WC's to the left.

Total cost(other than travel) was eight quarters for the Guadalupe street meter.

note: closed on Mondays.
    Check the link:
    here,

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/current/

I'll probably get by again. My mom lives in Wimberly 32 miles away and I get there at least monthly.

And finally: about two miles to the west of the university on 15th(Enfield) in The Hula Hut built on a pier over Lake Austin I had a great top shelf margarita with my decadently cheesy, creamy shrimp enchiladas, all the while wishing I was on one of the wake-board boats dotting the lake.

Once we resolve this evolution/intelligent-design nonsense I suspect we'll find that humans (civilized ones, anyway), in reality, began in south central Texas :biggrin:

8. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Honey! Back the Studebaker out of the garage. We're taking a trip!

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Vernon,

Thanks for the directions. I sent it all to my son in Austin. He'll go for sure. WOW, sure wish I could get over there.

Gaye

10. I have a strong recommendation for anyone planning to see Mr. Adam's prints in Austin.

Read some or all of his book "Examples : the making of 40 photographs".
    Then view the exhibit. At least half of the book's photos are displayed at UT in the Ransom center.

I just spent 90 minutes at Barnes & Nobles doing just that.(A date night out with my lovely wife "Katrina". I believe I'm frugal...she says cheap. Frugal date in any case)

The understanding of the mastery of his art is magnified manifold by only a casual perusal of the book. Reading the book in depth, with it's numerous cross references to his other classic books, would be the equivalent of dissecting, in detail, one of Beethoven's symphonies.(Something, BTW, I've tried and failed at).

Now...the next step would be trying to match Ansel's skills at photographic artistry....perhaps that being the equivalent of composing what Beethoven's tenth symphony might have been. :confused:

Anyway...restated...go if you can.

And me...to quote Douglas MacArthur...out of context..."I shall return"...to Austin, UT and the exhibit, that is.

Good night all.

The book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/082121750X/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-7957226-3113750#reader-link

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005