Answering the age old question-What lens for portraits?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by 2nd Trick, Jun 24, 2007.

1. 2nd Trick

2nd Trick Guest

This question always brings up the old standards, 85, 105, 28-70, etc. But truth is any lens can be a portrait lens so I thought it would be fun to see everyone's portraits done with lenses outside the norm. I'll start.
    Can the 10.5 fisheye do portraits? I think so:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool shots!

3. Good ones Steve. Here is one taken witha 15mm on a 5D

[​IMG]

4. Well, I guess if you can define "portrait" as any picture with a face in it you can define any lens as a "portrait" lens.

5. Here's a 300m capture of a fellow Cafe member who was fiddling with his D2X settings at Wednesday night's Met's baseball game.

[​IMG]
    ISO 1600, 300mm lens wide open at f/4, 1/320, no NR in-camera or in PP.

6. Yea, and I'm just about at the limit of my patience with Canon shooters posting high ISO pictures here. I thought this was supposed to be a Nikon forum and now with all these switchers hanging on here I'm beginning to question their motives.

So go ahead and start flaming me, I've got one step toward the door and don't care.

7. I am with you Woody. With all due respect for other hardware I have a hard time to understand the motives of some.

8. It does become rather annoying after a time, doesn't it. The motives, however subtle, are very clear.

Phil

9. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    To 2nd Trick, thanks for posting those fisheye shots. Now you've made me remember all the fun shots you can get with those and I want to get one again. Thanks a lot! :mad: :biggrin:

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Same here. I find this all very childish. :rolleyes:

I'd like to be able to get iso1600 performance as clean as that out of my D80. SO WHERE IS IT NIKON?

11. Maybe becuase this one is named the Nikon Cafe. :smile:

12. Childish indeed, sigh.....

13. Which proves again, how fascinating the right kind of equipment (D2Xs) can be.......:smile:

Obviously more fascinating then the game, at least for you! :Crunk:

14. I don't think it is childish Fritz.
    I've recently started doing sports action photography and would relish having a Nikon that could give good high ISO results. I too say "so where is it Nikon?".

I also don't think we should banish long standing contributors to the Café just because they pick up some Canon gear. As long as they're not "in you face" with their posts I see no harm.

Don

15. I guess I need to reread the thread to see who said anything about "banishing" someone.

A subtle "in your face" is still an "in your face" -- and I quote:

"ISO 1600, 300mm lens wide open at f/4, 1/320, no NR in-camera or in PP."

This is a thread about portrait shots taken with lenses not normally used for portraits -- has NOTHING to do with high ISO or noise reduction. So, what was the purpose of the above statement? He turned it into a gear thread -- and the turn seems to be working.

Phil

16. Just a quick grab shot with the 300/4 on the way back to my seat (I know it's not sharp), but I couldn't resist. Tosh's answer to the above posts???

[​IMG]

Let's not lose our perspective folks. Lighten up!

17. My issue is not with the courtesy that the administrators have extended to everyone. My issue is the abuse of the courtesy by the preponderance of posts that tout the superiority of the equipment.

What really got me started was a recent discussion about how Nikon shooters can deal with high ISO issues and someone posted an image taken at ISO 3200 with the remark that he didn't have any problems with high ISO... but intentionally failed t mention it was shot with a Canon... ha-ha he funny.

I'm sick of it. You can't even have a discussion about portrait lenses without some sticking a Canon shot in and including that it was shot at a high ISO.

I have a philosophy about life and that is I don't engage in activities that frustrate me. So, if this is someone's idea of being inclusive, I'm not interested in being included.

18. Just like the Canon 300, every lens I own is commonly used as a "portrait lens".

Phil

19. How about Extension tubes for portraits (with 60mm micro)?

It doesn't hurt for a portrait to have some eyes in the picture though. The more eyes the better......... :Crunk:

[​IMG]

original.

Yes, lighten up Guys!​