Antelope Canyon

Real Name
Ken St John
One of our stops on our recent visit to Arizona was the Upper Antelope Canyon. It is a stunning place for any photographer to visit. For safety reasons, the Navajo nation now requires all visitors to be on a tour, and ours was very well done. We visited at about 3pm, well past the "prime" time of around noon when you can get shafts of light. The tribe does not allow flash or tripods, which makes getting the shots somewhat of a challenge, although the high ISO performance of our newer cameras (like my D610) helps a lot. Here are several of my shots:

untitled-2608-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LL%20Horseshoe%2084-L.jpg

untitled-2639-L.jpg

untitled-2624-L.jpg

untitled-2634-L.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Very nicely done! As a clarification, you can use a tripod in the canyons (I've done it several times) but you must be on a "Photography" tour.

Real Name
Mark
Wow! Very nice photos!

Antelope canyon was one of the few things my fiancé and I didn't get to do that we wanted to. Unfortunately, the spontaneity of the trip meant we tried to book the day of, and there went any trips left.

Real Name
Ken St John
Very nicely done! As a clarification, you can use a tripod in the canyons (I've done it several times) but you must be on a "Photography" tour.

Karen

There may be some options that will include tripods, but we didn't see any. Ours was a "photo" tour. Seems there were some folks killed in a flash flood a couple of years ago and the tribe has really tightened things up since. Our tour was about $50 per person. I saw another one around noon that was $75+ for noon when the "light beams" were possible ... perhaps that one is more lenient.

Ken

Karen

There may be some options that will include tripods, but we didn't see any. Ours was a "photo" tour. Seems there were some folks killed in a flash flood a couple of years ago and the tribe has really tightened things up since. Our tour was about $50 per person. I saw another one around noon that was $75+ for noon when the "light beams" were possible ... perhaps that one is more lenient.

Ken
Yes...it hasn't been that long since I've been there (both the Upper and Lower Canyons). Tripods are permitted in both canyons with the photography tour. When I was there, the photography tour took place closer to the noon hour for Upper and it took place in the Lower early in the morning. As I recall, the pricing was about $75. The benefits of the photography tour are that you are permitted to use a tripod and the guide will block the endless stream of tourists so that you can more easily get pictures free of people.

Photography Tours | Upper Antelope Slot Canyon | Book a Tour | Powell Museum

Glenn

I was there last July (2016) and took a photography tour that allowed tripods, the guide controlled the crowds and if I remember correctly it was in the $125 range. Nearly all of the photo tours for Upper Antelope were around noon so you could get the light beams. Lower was not as crowded and the photo tour was around $50.

Perfect works! They remind me cartoon " The lion king". Nature has create marvellous landscapes. I want to visit it right now!

At Lower Antelope you can take a tripod in and don't have to take a tour. You can pay a fee $25, when we went, and have an hour in the canyon to go thru at your own pace. If you go over an hour you just have to pay another $25. That's why we went to lower instead of upper.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom