Antelope Valley and Horseshoe Bend

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by natelam, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I'm sure this has been photographically hashed and rehashed again and again over the years. I think Antelope Valley is a unique experience for every photographer, and regardless of how "trite" the subject has become, one does become proud to have captured this natural phenomenon in his or her own way. That being said...

Just returned to CA today from my Southwestern hiatus. I've had a little time to look through the pictures but it's going to be a while before I get through all of them. I've got so many photos to go through that I'm going in reverse order...but I think these are by far my favorites from the trip because I have been waiting half my photographic life to shoot Antelope Valley.

Antelope Valley lies in a small town on the north side of Arizona, best known for its slot canyons. It is perhaps one of AZ's best kept secrets because almost everyone has "seen" it in photos...but few people know where it lies and what it beholds.

It's nothing like you expect at first. Although it's not well known, it is not large, so the small amount of tourism that the canyon recieves causes mass chaos when tours are running. But there are moments...when everyone leaves and all that's left are less than 10 people traversing the canyon quietly, observing reverence for the natural wonder and hoping to capture the prime moment that makes Antelope Valley so magical. The light beams meander down for just an hour, beginning as faint dodgy areas and intensifying as the sun rises, peaking in a blistering beam of light that seems to penetrate the ground beneath. It's a cool 60ยบ in the cavern, and for those brief 60 minutes, a photographer's paradise.

You could spend a lifetime trying to capture the spirit of the slot canyons, but in such a short time...the best you can do is take a deep breath and focus your lens through the dusty air and pray that you do it justice. When I looked at the photos later - it's amazing how surreal these canyonscapes look. Many of them look like they are products of imagination painted on canvas...the REALLY amazing thing is that it's nature's work on it's own canvas, and I was only lucky enough to capture them once in my life.

All photos shot with Nikon D200. 12-24DX with B+W CPL and ND0.9 with cable release on a Gitzo 1327 tripod.

therighttime.

rayofhope.

narrow.

upinsmoke.

silentcapture.

labouche.

laser.

lightwave.

thebear.

burningbush.

cascade.

burdened.

burning.

atthecross.

beammeup.
    After the canyons we headed back to to another hidden gem that is way more well known from photos that its actual location. From a tiny highway turnoff, a half mile hike revealed one of AZ's most gorgeous views of the Colorado river. The RED red bluffs and green blue water make for an amazing sight. A few hundred feet high, hanging the camera off the cliff by holding onto one extended tripod leg and tripping the shutter with the cable release, I managed to fit the entire scene in 12mm.

horseshoebend.

2. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Wow...these are breathetaking Nate. These are better than any posters I have seen. These should be framed and hanging on your wall:)
    It's hard to choose a favorite, but I really like "up in smoke"

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You did a wonderful job on all of them. I went to antelope canyon last year and loved it. Your photos do it justice.

4. Thanks Brian and Terri. Terri I recently saw your photos before my trip and was inspired =)

5. Absolutely stunning Nate, love all of these, every one !

Thanks for sharing

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Holey Smokes
    I would say you nailed them all.
    Beautiful work
    wow

7. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice, Nate!

8. Exciting shots, all of them! I'm glad you had a good grip on your camera for that last one!

9. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Nate,
    Excellent series. I've been there, too, and feel that you've done a wonderful job. As you point out, it's hard to believe that these small, barely noticeable sites (especially, the upper canyon) have as much play as they do on the internet.

Mike

10. The Antelope Canyon shots are pretty nice.. colors... Just a correction, it is Antelope Canyon not Valley and it is right next door to Page Arizona near Lake Powell...

BTW Horseshoe Bend overlook is a few Thousand Feet down to the river...

11. catspj

catspj

May 16, 2007
    New England
    Nate
    The exposure on all of these is awesome. "The right time" is my fav. It reminds me of inside a cathedral.

12. WOWWWWWW... amazing photos, Nate! Stunning beauty in those canyon shots.

13. Nice shots Nate, especially the one you called La Bouche. Here is one of mine to add to the collection :wink:

14. Beautiful work, Nate!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

15. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    WOW these are awesome some great inspiration to keep working at this

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice slot shots, a good variety, keeps the interest, and I like the variety that is in your work, the usual spots and some other unique ones too!

Cheers,

Wade

17. Fantastic shots!!!

Did you say these were all taken over the period of one hour??

18. thanks all! yes these were taken over the period of about 60 minutes while the light passes over the canyon. I apologize for getting the name wrong although our Navajo guide kept on referring to it as the Antelope Valley.

19. This is a great shot Rory thanks for sharing! =)