Anti-Fur Protest

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Removed User 1, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Now there's a debate... I'm not going to wander into that one.... interesting graphics they're using, the pic in back looks like a malnourished canine, not an animal which would be skinned for its fur.

2. It's an animal that was already skinned. Someone said it was a fox.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Activists are certainly welcome to have their opinions and I will respect their opinions...but I really dislike the shock value of the images that they enlarge and place on posterboards. There is an abortion clinic not far from where I live and some of the activists hold posterboards that show decayed or mutilated fetuses...I guess some people might benefit from seeing these types of images and decide not to go through an abortion, but I don't like that fact that young children view these images then get grossed out and ask all kinds of questions of their parents.

But, I guess when you are a devoted activist, you do whatever you have to so you can get your point across.

Just my 2 cents.....

4. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Good pictures and very stirring motives. The posters they use are also a good example on how pictures can evoke emotions and polarise the opinions.

5. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Just because I like to cause trouble, I would stop and ask her were the closest furrier is. People just like to work off the shock value. How many people want to see the carcasses from the animals that we use for food. That said, I have no need for a fur coat.

6. Also not to make trouble, but I wonder if they were wearing a leather belt or shoes or have those items at home. For the record I have never owned or bought anything made of real fur but I did have turkey in the spagetti I made last night.

7. Those sorts of images sure make me jump.

So far as I can tell, what causes such outrage against fur is how it is harvested. Very little compassion involved. We treat our cattle with more dignity.

8. Growing up in Pennsylvania, you just get used to fur, skins, bear rugs and deer heads mounted. Yesterday was the first day of Deer season. No school with over one million hunters in the woods. Deer are hanging out of trucks, tied to car roof tops, hanging in trees. Most butcher shops are busy for the next three weeks with nothing but deer. Many women friends hunt and are good at it. Furs just seem a natural part of mother nature, just my opinion.

I quit hunting years ago for safetey reasons, I got shot at in the woods.

Be safe, Greg

9. I grew up learning to hunt myself. I didn't mean to espouse an opinion on fur. But from what I have heard about how furs are harvested, it did not sound humane.

10. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Last night the possible source of the anti-fur photos was shown here on national TV.
    China has a huge fur trade, quite legitimately, with the EU. Film of dogs and cats crammed into wire baskets being thrown from trucks, before being subjected to even crueller treatment before death were shown. This is a daily occurrance, not just a one off. For some inexplicable reason they are making cat and dog fur coats for sale in Europe.

It would seem to be a simple case of banning the importation of such materials would close down the operation; but no, they will find another way. Unfortunately the world is still only dimly aware of the callousness of many in the Far East towards what the West regards as Family members. (Sorry for getting political Patrick)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4476664.stm

11. Well this is interesting....
    Because this is a photo forum I will (first) comment on the images. Well they tell a story and convey an opinion and that is fair… The lighting looks good considering they look to be taken in midday and that is always tough. The composition could be better as the framing seems a little out.

Now for what I REALLY THINK....
    As a person who made a living trapping in northern Canada many years ago these images make me laugh… These images simply tell me that we still have a bunch of people who have no idea what the trapping industry is all about jumping on a bandwagon and condone an industry at every turn.
    I just find it REAL INTERESTING when we see a bunch of folks who have been fed a bunch of crap and now feel they are the corner store exsperts to pass the same junk onto others....
    Oh well I guess it takes all kinds to make a world!!

I would LOVE to say more…. But I think I will take the high road and just stop here….

Buy the way… your Fox picture is NOT a Fox… And the images of the raccoons makes good sense as one would need to setup a “City Trap line” to get any amount of them….lol

12. When I see a series of photos like this I am struck by how many different stories are told based upon what one may already believe or what bias one may already have. Those who oppose take all of the images on posters as well as the talks at face value, never looking beyond. Those who disagree, often do no more research, just go on blind faith as well. Then there is the story that I see, which is a group of people attacking exactly the wrong people, in the wrong place and at the wrong time. In all cases it is a story worth telling, and these images do just that. The unfortunate part, and the story that we cannot see, is the backstory behind the people holding the signs, a far more interesting story in my opinion.

This reminds me of one of the latest tales to run 'round the 'Net, the use of Dogs as bait for Shark Fisherman. Accepted at face value by most of my animal activist friends, but a little research at Snopes reveals the real story. But how many ever bother to look? Not many, in my experience.

Interesting pictures, interesting thread, I'm glad you posted this as images, without an editorial opinion.