Anti-virus question

I was new to Windows a few years ago and at the advice of some here I installed Avira and Malwarebytes on my Windows 10 machine. I haven't had any issues but after reading some posts on another forum I went into Windows Security and found to my surprise that Defender had been turned off because Avira was running. And here I had all along been installing all the Defender updates, although it's possible the turning off of Defender occurred after a recent Windows update.

There was an option to do an occasional Defender scan, so I turned that on. But I was wondering if at this time Defender would be enough protection (along with all the usual precautions one should take), or should I use Avira or both? Thanks.

Real Name
Andrew
You'll get a lot of differing opinions on this.

Some people will feel that Windows Defender is enough, while others will recommend third party options.
Some of it depends on where you go and what you do out on the internet.

I've been using AVG for years and really like it, but if AVG went belly up I'd seriously look at the capabilities of Windows Defender alone before jumping into other options. I've tried McAfee, Norton, Kaperski before but did not like how they affected the performance of my machines and how hard they were to uninstall. They left a lot of junk behind, never cleanly uninstalled.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Uninstall Avira and reboot. Windows Defender should come to life. Check this is so. Then do a full scan to pick up anything Avira has missed. Do it overnight.

Unless you are in a complex corporate environment my recommendation for Windows 10 is simple.
1. Use Windows Defender. Don't install anything that disables it. If your machine comes with McAfee or Norton preinstalled "free", uninstall it and ignore the threats it makes to pay or else. Defender will do a pretty good job as an anti-virus.
2. Install Malwarebytes. Use the free version, you don't need to pay. Run occasional scans of every disk to eliminate PUPs and similar. It is anti-malware and picks up lots of relatively unimportant things that Defender isn't interested in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I already have the free version of Malwarebytes and run it occasionally.

I uninstalled Avira, Defender is active and I'm running a full scan now - will take less than an hour.

Thanks.

Real Name
Don Roy
I've been on Defender as my only antivirus program since Windows 8 when it was 'Security Essentials'. I tend to stay away from bad internet neighborhoods, like public torrent sites, and have had zero problems.

+1 to using Defender. I used Avast for years. Then they started going the way of McAfee and Norton being bloated as heck. Tried Security Essentials from M$ on my Win 7 Dell and have not had an issue at all. I do run SpyBot and Malwarebytes on a regular basis. On the rare occasion I get one of the browser hijacks (and its from the same local TV station web page and apparently their IT guys are idiots), I just close the window with task manager, then run scans.

I have repeatedly informed them of the browser hijacks coming from their web site. They always reply "We'll look into it". They just put up the advertisers banners and ads without checking for malware.

If you are using windows 10, you can use built-in Windows Defender Antivirus. It's good and powerful.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom