Anti-Virus software to go with MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-malware)

I am currently using the premium Malwarebytes application and would like suggestions on which anti-virus application (free preferably) I can use in combination with MBAM to get a reasonably good amount of protection for normal surfing/usage. I had been using Kaspersky Internet Security but the license expired and I did not renew it. I started using Windows Defender but a lot of articles suggest that it is does not offer adequate protection. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Real Name
Ken
I have Avast Free on my Win7 desktop with MBAW Free and Comodo Firewall Free and Windows Defender on my Win10 laptop and have had no issues with either machine. My wife's nephew works in Redmond and was the one who recommended their Defender package for the laptop. He does not suffer fools gladly and has found it to be sufficient. After over a year on the laptop, I cannot argue with the recommendation. I know a similar question came up in this forum within the past year and Defender was also one of the recommended choices. The main thing is not to have more than one piece of software running at once, firewall excepted. So many of the companies have gone beyond their core product (malware, firewall or anitvirus) into wuite packages that it is easy to not pay attention and have two running at once.

Good luck,

--Ken

Please excuse my ignorance but aren't malware and viruses 2 different things? I need something for anti-virus protection since Malware is covered by MBAM. Or is MBAM all inclusive in that it protects from malware as well as viruses? I just want to protect myself , that's all.

Please excuse my ignorance but aren't malware and viruses 2 different things? I need something for anti-virus protection since Malware is covered by MBAM. Or is MBAM all inclusive in that it protects from malware as well as viruses? I just want to protect myself , that's all.
Viruses are malware. But there is a lot of malware beyond viruses. When I used Windows regularly I used Malwarebytes and the MS provided Windows Defender. That pairing worked well.

Malware is short for malicious software, which includes viruses. Viruses are a subset of malware defined by their ability to spread and replicate much like an organic virus. https://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-antivirus-and-anti-malware-and-1176942277

I would agree that Malware Bytes and Windows Defender are a good combo. But I would also consider something that protects all devices on your network, especially if you have anything like smart devices, smart TV’s, internet connected thermostats, lights or other non-computer devices on your network.

Anti-malware/virus software protection is limited to the computer the software is installed upon and does nothing to protect mobile and IoT devices on your network. None of them are 100% effective and a layered defense is considered a better approach. By layered, I do not mean multiple anti-malwars/virus applications on a single computer but multiple lines of differing defenses network wide.Things like a DNS that filters and encrypts traffic, a modern firewall, an intrusion detection/prevention system, SPAM filters and host based anti-malware/virus. Each of these layers has it’s own purpose and all together put up a very hard line of defense that will make most attackers move on to lesser protected targets.

There are some products that bundle some of these systems, like Bit Defender Box 2, RATtrap, Akita, Cujo and others. Most of these are easy to install and configure and offer features found on enterprise class services. if you want to harden your target, give consideration to one of these, as they protect all devices on your network, and not just the single computer the anti-malware software is installed to.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
Malware is short for malicious software, which includes viruses. Viruses are a subset of malware defined by their ability to spread and replicate much like an organic virus. https://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-antivirus-and-anti-malware-and-1176942277

I would agree that Malware Bytes and Windows Defender are a good combo. But I would also consider something that protects all devices on your network, especially if you have anything like smart devices, smart TV’s, internet connected thermostats, lights or other non-computer devices on your network.

Anti-malware/virus software protection is limited to the computer the software is installed upon and does nothing to protect mobile and IoT devices on your network. None of them are 100% effective and a layered defense is considered a better approach. By layered, I do not mean multiple anti-malwars/virus applications on a single computer but multiple lines of differing defenses network wide.Things like a DNS that filters and encrypts traffic, a modern firewall, an intrusion detection/prevention system, SPAM filters and host based anti-malware/virus. Each of these layers has it’s own purpose and all together put up a very hard line of defense that will make most attackers move on to lesser protected targets.

There are some products that bundle some of these systems, like Bit Defender Box 2, RATtrap, Akita, Cujo and others. Most of these are easy to install and configure and offer features found on enterprise class services. if you want to harden your target, give consideration to one of these, as they protect all devices on your network, and not just the single computer the anti-malware software is installed to.
And one more more reason why I do not want my alarm/doorbell/lights/thermostat hooked up to the internet. Little value for me and more exposure points to malware.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am currently using the premium Malwarebytes application and would like suggestions on which anti-virus application (free preferably) I can use in combination with MBAM to get a reasonably good amount of protection for normal surfing/usage. I had been using Kaspersky Internet Security but the license expired and I did not renew it. I started using Windows Defender but a lot of articles suggest that it is does not offer adequate protection. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
As suggested above, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes make a good combination.
Don't forget you also have Windows Defender Firewall installed and running already (unless other software disabled it, you should check).
This triple combination is what I have running on all my PCs.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I’ve been fine letting windows handle everything but I’m now wondering if I should install Malwarebytes
I use the free version, which lets you run scans when you want. Now and again I run a full scan and it picks up any little thing that has appeared, generally harmless but unwanted, and you can remove them. Very easy.

Richard taught me about Malwarebytes. I use it every time I am about to connect a USB drive for backup purposes. Doing so ensures that whatever bad stuff might be on my computer doesn't also get onto my backup drive. I backup to two drives every week, so I use Malwarebytes to scan my computer twice each week.

Thank you for a very helpful explanation. With the exception of a 'smart' phone I have not indulged in any of the other 'smart' devices that you have mentioned above for obvious reasons.

As suggested above, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes make a good combination.
Don't forget you also have Windows Defender Firewall installed and running already (unless other software disabled it, you should check).
This triple combination is what I have running on all my PCs.
Thank you Richard! I will check on the Windows Defender Firewall. Where would I go to to see if the Firewall is active and running? I am on a PC running Windows 8.1.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you Richard! I will check on the Windows Defender Firewall. Where would I go to to see if the Firewall is active and running? I am on a PC running Windows 8.1.
So far as I remember you will find in Control Panel, called Windows Firewall or Windows Defender Firewall.
Most people on Windows 8 or 8.1 took the free upgrade to Windows 10. So it is a long time now since I saw 8.1.

We should have asked you right at the start which version of Windows you are on, and not just assumed it was 10. If you had been on Windows 7 the recommendations would have been different, since in that version the thing called Windows Defender didn't defend against much of anything! Instead you had to download Microsoft Security Essentials. When Windows 8 came out, they had sorted that mess out.

So far as I remember you will find in Control Panel, called Windows Firewall or Windows Defender Firewall.
Most people on Windows 8 or 8.1 took the free upgrade to Windows 10. So it is a long time now since I saw 8.1.

We should have asked you right at the start which version of Windows you are on, and not just assumed it was 10. If you had been on Windows 7 the recommendations would have been different, since in that version the thing called Windows Defender didn't defend against much of anything! Instead you had to download Microsoft Security Essentials. When Windows 8 came out, they had sorted that mess out.
Thanks Richard. I went to the Microsoft site for downloading SE for Windows 8.1 and the site clearly states that you need to use Windows Defender for 8, 8.1 and 10. Here is the link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

Thanks again for all your help as well as the others who have chimed in to help.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom