Anti Virus Software

Just got a new PC and currently I'm running Windows Defender as my Anti Virus Software, but since we use Xfinity for our internet/phone I'm wondering if I would be better off using their Advanced Security. They offer the Advanced Security software free.
Thanks

+1 with Don.
I've used Windows Defender for years along with the free version of Malwarebytes scanning about once a week or if I notice something peculiar. Over the years I have been though Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee plus others and feel they do nothing but pollute your computer with parts of the program that do not uninstall completely when you try to get rid of them. A waste of time as far as I'm concerned. Get a little extra insurance by running Macrium Reflect, and do a frequent disk image backup should something slip through and your covered. Always have Macrium Reflect verify the image after backing up. It's one of the options you have to select. It takes a little longer to finish but well worth the wait. I always run my backups just before turning in for the night. Any of the antivirus software out there is not going to do a bit of good if you get hit by ransomware. But if you do you just install your last image backup and the ransomware will be gone unless that particular backup already had it but you didn't know it yet. That's where frequent backups are essential.

Don brings up a good point.
I have used Acronis True Image as well and it worked fine.
Reflect seems to be a little faster to me.
One feature I did like about True Image was a feature called "Try And Decide"
If you are about to go on a website that you have never been on and could possibly be questionable or install software you later wish you had not installed. Try And Decide will take a snapshot of your system. Anything you do is not directly saved to the drive. If you decide you don't like the software you just installed you can stop Try And Decide without saving and you go back to the way it was before installing the software. If you are pleased with the results just exit Try And Decide but save the changes to the drive. I'm not sure if their program still has this feature but I did like it and used it from time to time.

Real Name
Don Roy
I don't know if the other backup software mentioned can do this, but this is a feature I really like about Acronis. We know these days that Windows explorer can open ZIP files as though they were a folder, and that you can copy files out to another location, sort of a partial unzip. The image Acronis creates is a large 'whatevername.tib' file (True Image Backup), sort of it's own ZIP format. The Acronis install adds a ZIP'ish api for Windows 10's file explorer. If you double click the large ?.tib image file, explorer open it up and you can pull out files and folders as needed for a partial restore. You do not have to open the actual Acronis program to get a few files.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I don't know if the other backup software mentioned can do this, but this is a feature I really like about Acronis. We know these days that Windows explorer can open ZIP files as though they were a folder, and that you can copy files out to another location, sort of a partial unzip. The image Acronis creates is a large 'whatevername.tib' file (True Image Backup), sort of it's own ZIP format. The Acronis install adds a ZIP'ish api for Windows 10's file explorer. If you double click the large ?.tib image file, explorer open it up and you can pull out files and folders as needed for a partial restore. You do not have to open the actual Acronis program to get a few files.
Macrium Reflect does the same, it opens into a virtual drive in File Explorer. You can navigate around it and copy any files you want to recover.
If you look at the main Macrium Reflect program it is a powerful piece of software intended for IT professionals. The version we are talking about is Macrium Reflect Free, which is a version with data centre oriented features removed, that does everything a home user could want, and it costs nothing.

Some thoughts:
Microsoft has a history of losing interest and/or abandoning products and projects. While Defender is currently a generally acceptable solution, the time may come when it is relegated to the back burner (or gets taken off the stove altogether). Be on the lookout for such a development.

Malwarebytes is worth paying for. It catches things in real time that Defender does not. Sometimes I'm surprised by a warning that pops up when clicking a link to what, for all intents and purposes, was a benign search that should have returned a non-toxic result—unlike our pastor's search for Turkish Delight (a CS Lewis reference), which did not return anything like he expected. A story for another day.

Finally, after years of using Macrium Free, I opted in to the paid version of it as well. It includes something called Image Guardian, which prevents malware or ransomware from overwriting or encrypting your backups (at least in theory). It also allows the mounting of an image as a virtual machine, something I didn't expect to use but it came in handy a year or so ago.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom