Anti-War Rally

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Angelo, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

from yesterday: http://www.worldcantwait.net/

(disclaimer - let's not let this degenerate into a political fighting match. My only intent here is to hone photojournalism skills)

Well I decided to attend the rally that was held in Los Angeles at 5PM yesterday to see what was in store and to exercise the trusty D70.

Between then and now I've learned from news reports that there were protests held in most major cities around the US. The date of 11/2 was selected as it marks the anniversary of George Bush's reelection in 2004.

Here, there were thousands of people (I was shocked), THOUSANDS!!! Every color, creed, nationality and age group seemed to be represented. The vast majority were young people and I assume many were students from the nearby UC campus.

While the overpowering message was anti-war, anti-Bush; what I found surprising was the message was strongly anti-Government. No one was spared in this protest, and everyone in Washington was blamed for the state of affairs our country is in.

This was a call for an end to corporatists and Facscists running our country.

Celebrities (this is LA afterall) and politicians, Democrat and Republican alike, were on-hand to address the crowd.

The event began as a rally alongside the Federal building before becoming a two mile march through the streets of Westwood Village, home of UCLA as well as many regional corporate headquarters.

I have most images posted and more are on the way. I hope you'll visit and I welcome all comments and critiques. Thanks.

http://angelo.smugmug.com/gallery/935669

2. Hi Angelo. Had a look at the demo photos. Looks very busy as you said in your post.

It's a pity that the majority of the people in the world, whatever their nationality, political belief or religion, have no say in what may be right or wrong if you know what I mean.

Keep up the great work. I'm always keen to see more images that are, undoubtedly, of history in the making........whether unfortunately............ it's good or bad for the world.

Take care.

Graeme

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Looks like a difficult job you took up there - crowds of people, night, etc.

Nevertheless you were able to capture some nice shots. IMHO, I feel that sometimes you were focusing on the people while not capturing enough of the banners etc. that they carry, or vice versa. Again, it must have been difficult to compose and make sure the shot is OK under these lighting conditions. I perhaps would have tried some other angles, or slightly from the side to capture the marching people and their banners.
    Please post more and share with us these events - it's always fascinating to see history in the making. Who knows what it will bring for tomorrow.

4. not hurt!

Glad you made it unhurt! Some friends in blue of mine spoke about the molotov cocktails and other "surprises" some of the crowd had in mind. That never makes sense to me - go to a anti-war rally and create violence! :Confused:

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Angelo,

I've covered a number of protests and riots so I hope you don't mind my critique of your work. Some of the photos are pretty good, but I feel like you need to be closer for a lot. Granted it can get scary at certain points, but some of my best photos came from when I was literally a foot or two away from two anarchists about to start a brawl.

Also, some of the sign shots are OK, but try to avoid just taking photos of signs. They're great to add context to a shot, but try to get something else in the frame as well. With the UPN microphone, it's a good idea, but if you had something in the background that added context I think it would be a whole lot stronger.

Overall my biggest tip would be to get closer and get wider.

6. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Graeme - thanks for looking and commenting.

7. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Heiko - yes, it was challenging and I probably could've done a little better but I take it as a learning experience. Thank you for taking time to look and comment.

8. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The crowd was loud but peaceful. I read a news report there was a molotov cocktail incident in San Francisco. Thanks for looking.

9. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Mike - I appreciate your comments and certainly welcome critique. Isn't that why we're here?

I've contemplated your critique and I've reviewed all the photos several more times. Yes, many could be better, I agree. I realize upon reflection that I was struck, at the time of the event, with the sense of having to keeping getting the shots and worrying about the "next" shot.

I guess I assumed the portfolio of pictures would present a complete story. Truthfully I could cull more than 50% of my photos in the gallery and still have a decent presentation.

I now realize the challenge for a good photojournalist is to tell a story with each image. Well, with certain notable historical exceptions I suppose.

As far as "getting closer" I'm not sure... in many, many shots, I was right IN the crowd, so I'm not certain about this portion of your critique.

So, I thank you for forcing me to think about this more and I will challenge myself in future. Thanks.