Antique Sheriff's car -- ID, please

After searching the net, it looks like a 1937 Plymouth sedan.

1937-plymouth-p4-deluxe-rare-2-door-sedan-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In 1938 they offered 3 accessory packages, A, B and C. That police car looks like it has group C, which includes everything in group A. Accessory Group C, costing the buyer $35, included all Group A items plus "pillow-type" seat upholstery, special door upholstery panels, front seat back trim, lighter instrument panel and garnish moulding wood graining, constrasting colors on the instrument panel, colored escutcheon plates on all handles, two front door arm rests, a color steering wheel with a chrome horn ring, a special gearshift knob and a glove box lock plus, on the outside, a front bumper grille guard, two chrome license plate frames, chrome windshield wipers, chrome strips on the running boards and five chrome wheel trim rings.
Group A didn’t include much, it consisted of a right hand taillamp, windshield wiper and sun visor as well as a cigar lighter and dual trumpet horns.
The police car has the chrome strip on the running boards, chrome windshield wipers. Of the ones I’ve looked at the chrome strip on the running boards is rare. I can’t find any info on what those headrest like things are on the rear seat. Only one 1938 Plymouth I saw had them, it was listed as a G6 model and looked like it had the full Group C package.

Mike, Ford offered a Hemp or Gasoline option on the early Model T's, the T's were first built in 1908. That might be the first time an "option" was available on a production car. I believe the Hemp fuel was ethanol, and not the bio-diesel. I don't know if this option added cost to the $825 Model T. Ford dropped the Hemp fuel option in the early 1920's when oil prices dropped significantly. By the early 1920's buyers wanted style and luxury in their autos, my best guess is this was the start of the more varied option packages. The black only Model T wasn't going to cut it in era of style and luxury.

Mike, Ford offered a Hemp or Gasoline option on the early Model T's, the T's were first built in 1908. That might be the first time an "option" was available on a production car. I believe the Hemp fuel was ethanol, and not the bio-diesel. I don't know if this option added cost to the $825 Model T. Ford dropped the Hemp fuel option in the early 1920's when oil prices dropped significantly. By the early 1920's buyers wanted style and luxury in their autos, my best guess is this was the start of the more varied option packages. The black only Model T wasn't going to cut it in era of style and luxury.

Thanks for the explanation, Rick!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom