Antivirus for Vista 64 bit

My Norton subscription just ended a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure whether to renew or get a different one. I researched and so far a lot of people are recommending either Kapersky or Nod32 for my Vista 64bit. Never heard of them before, are they any good and which one is better? Please feel free to suggest other anti virus also. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Norton subscription ended 3 years ago and by a lucky coincidence the renewal caused problems. I switched to NOD32 and couldn't have been happier. Still on my old system I experienced a performance boost because Norton is a notorious system hog - I can even remember an incident when Norton recognized itself as a virus LOL :biggrin:. Also works perfectly on my new Ultimate 64 machine.

I have no experience with Kaspersky.

Cheers

OCIR, I've used Norton products since Peter Norton was selling them out of his garage in Venice Beach. That doesn't mean I've always been an avid fan; in fact Symantec has just barely emerged from the "hate 'em" category after several years of bloated, intrusive products that seemed always to be in your face with unnecessary reports, buttons, and other forms of self-promotion.

However, just thought I'd pass along the fact that the 2009 version is MUCH improved on both counts. It's significantly better-performing and (if you spend a few minutes setting options to shut it the **** up!) less intrusive.

Finally, though, consider that it still comes out on top in most head-to-head comparisons of efficacy at trapping threats. I know a fair number of people who use other products - some started as a kind of anti-Symantec protest like the anti-Microsoft movement that fuelled Linux. Only one of them has been infected through his AVG antivirus, but I've heard of others with other products. In well over a decade (including two careless teenagers on our home office network) we've never been infected with anything through Norton.

We are using Vista 64 here too.

NOD 32 without doubt, far too many horror stories about Norton, the only good Norton were the motor cycles that used to be made here.

Nod32 is excellent, very small footprint and system resource friendly. Having said that, even though I have a Nod32 valid subscription I have switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. It's still in beta but I've had no problems with it at all.
And it's free, if you can find it.

I use TREND MICRO..

It came with my Dell laptop vista 64 bit, updates every morning and built in spam/firewall...works good behind the lines IMO

Curently on my 64 bit vista I am using mcafee security suite which seems to be doing what it is supposed to without too much of a drain on resources. Nod 32 is also a good option and AVG have a free av offering which is pretty good as well.
I have avoided Norton (the software not the bikes!) for quite some time.

Nod, Trend and AVG are all good products and support an x64 platform. McAfee and Symantec have agents as well. I currently using the free Microsoft Security Essentials, and it runs like a champ. Definitely better than the more recent versions of AVG I used...

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I use AVG 8,5 Free on my Vista 64 bit ultimate system. My XP pro systems and if you plan to to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit you would be pleased to know thta it woarks very well with the the Windows 7 64 bit system I have as well.

BTW off topic but anticpating the next question: Should you upgrade from your Vista 64 bit system to Windows 7 64 bith when it arrives in store (22nd October or so)

Short answer is YES! Long answer is also YES absolutely!

I use AVG Full 8.5 on one PC and NOD32 on the other. NOD32 seems a little better in terms of less of a hardware hog, so I'd go with that. Pretty cheap at Newegg, occasionally it drops to like $20.

AVG and SuperAntiSpyware. Maybe Norton and McAffee slimmed down and got rid of all the self-advertising bloat, maybe not. I don't care. There's only so much annoyance they can push towards their customers. I wouldn't be surprised if their current "slimmed down" products originate from losing a lot of loyal customers. And I doubt they'll get them back soon, as most people that turn away will vow "never again..."

I used to have paid AVG subscription. But last year, I moved over to NOD32. I do find it less ressource hungry than AVG and also prefer that NOD32 can work with Thunderbird automatically. When I had AVG, everything had to be parametered manually and was a pain when I was trying to help my father set up AVG on his PC. It's probably changed now.

+1 for Nod32. Use it... Love it.

I have found that you still need more protection.

I run Nod32. SuperAntiSpyware, SuperPopUpBlocker and occasionally scan with MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I have yet to find many PC's that I cannot clean with this combo and I have yet to have virus, rootkit or any spyware one on my PC. It's like the Teflon Don of PC's. :biggrin:

My Norton subscription just ended a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure whether to renew or get a different one. I researched and so far a lot of people are recommending either Kapersky or Nod32 for my Vista 64bit. Never heard of them before, are they any good and which one is better? Please feel free to suggest other anti virus also. Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom