Antivirus Software

My subscription is about to run out on Kasperski and was wanting to know if should I keep it or go to something different and if so any suggestions . BTW this will be used on 2 PC .
Ty for you help

I have just bought- Bitdefender Total Security -as it seems to be rated the best and is for up to 3 computers

I use MS Security Essentials, scan often with the free MalwareBytes Antimalware as well as the paid version of SuperAntiSpyware.

I never have had any issues. Then again I keep my internet browsing to regular and known safe areas.

Memory hungry and resource hog comes up often associated with both Norton and McAffee. Cannot speak about McAffee but this is IMO a legacy issue that does not seem to hold true with todays Norton product.

Having used both Norton 2013 and now trying MSE on a long in the tooth system with limited memory there is no noticeable difference in user experience between the two although I do believe that Norton may be overall a better choice beween the two.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/secu...urity-essentials-tanks-another-antivirus-test

YMMV due to many reasons including specifics of your system but if you are not put off by issues of old then it should be a consideration in your search for the best solution - TBH I do not think there is a huge difference between the top contenders and the charts change depending on the reviewers testing conditions

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You don't say which version of Windows.
My recommendations (all free - I don't believe in paying when there is now an excellent free alternative):

Windows XP: Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows 8: Windows Defender (comes built in to Windows 8).
Please note that Windows Defender in Windows 8 is NOT the same as the Windows Defender in Windows 7, which is not an anti-virus tool.

In addition I would install Malwarebytes to do occasional scans with.

You don't say which version of Windows.
My recommendations (all free - I don't believe in paying when there is now an excellent free alternative):

Windows XP: Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials

Windows 8: Windows Defender (comes built in to Windows 8).
Please note that Windows Defender in Windows 8 is NOT the same as the Windows Defender in Windows 7, which is not an anti-virus tool.

In addition I would install Malwarebytes to do occasional scans with.
Everything Richard says, +42 ....

I have to disagree about MSE. I've had too many infections while that is installed. I am a somewhat risky websurfer and sometimes recklessly install programs to test when I should be using a VM instead. ;) Too many times I found MSE letting me know I had a virus after the fact, which is pointless. It then goes on to say it can't clean it. It needs to prevent it for it to be useful at all.

Good browsing and program installing habits are your best defense against malware these days, since nearly all AV solutions have a max 60% detection rate. With that said, I have had the most success with Avast free. It also has a boot scan which so few others do. Malwarebytes is a good utility to remove trojans (or prevent them if you pay for that version), but its not an antivirus solution.

Something to consider using on risky software and websites (open your browser in it): www.sandboxie.com

This site I frequent when looking for free apps that are not bundled with malware: http://www.techsupportalert.com/

... I am a somewhat risky websurfer and sometimes recklessly install programs to test when I should be using a VM instead. ;) Too many times I found MSE letting me know I had a virus after the fact, which is pointless. It then goes on to say it can't clean it. It needs to prevent it for it to be useful at all.

Good browsing and program installing habits are your best defense against malware these days, since nearly all AV solutions have a max 60% detection rate. With that said, I have had the most success with Avast free. It also has a boot scan which so few others do. Malwarebytes is a good utility to remove trojans (or prevent them if you pay for that version), but its not an antivirus solution.

Something to consider using on risky software and websites (open your browser in it): www.sandboxie.com

This site I frequent when looking for free apps that are not bundled with malware: http://www.techsupportalert.com/
Makes a lot of sense to me as I sometimes share the risky surfing habits, some would say cavalier attitude as I am pretty confident I can deal with any issues that may arise - of course it could also be seen as overconfident and dumb :wink:. Not had anything too bad happen with MSE and certainly no virus notifications but have had a couple of instances when MSE suddenly stopped working and could not be restarted without uninstall and reinstall - which I did find mildly disturbing as I could not reliably identify why.

Thanks for the links I had forgotten about Sandboxie and I would add a link back that can help to identify any holes in your system - SheildsUP
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Thinking about this another way and I sincerely hope that this is taken the way intended and not derogatory/condescending/patronising to anyone!

There is also the question of a users competence and confidence of being able to correct a wayward system in the case of a catastrophic failure not all have the knowledge and experience required to do this and IMHO nor should they really have to understand the geek stuff to use what is after all a tool PC or Mac. Having to save a few systems (not mine!!) that became so clogged with viri, malware etc that they hardly responded to input to my mind reinforces a cautious and carefully considered approach to the question of protection dependent on skill level amongst other things

Perhaps in this case the strongest protection available should be considered regardless of any potential impact on system resources/performance and I believe in that case it is likely to be had from paid for software.

Been using Avast free for at least 9 yrs. Combined with spybot, malwarebytes and defender I catch most bad spyware. Only time I had to switch was when I got this Dell with Vista and for some reason I couldnt get the then new version of Avast to play ball with Vista. Was only for a month.

New Norton isnt as much of a mem hog as it used to be. Still is more than what I like. Then again why buy norton360 when I have good results with Avast.

I used the free Avast and found it quite good. While I take no issue with the annual re-registration, I am unofficial system administrator for family and friends and registering all the computers became an annoyance. I have moved everyone over to Microsoft Security Essentials and have had no problems at all.
Pete

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom