1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any advantage to shooting at ISO100?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by vinman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Just wondering. With a base ISO of 200, but the ability to extend it down to 100, is there any real reason to do so? I see all these fabulous high ISO shots, but I haven't seen any at 100...

2. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

I actutally miss my Canon Days and being able to go to ISO 50.

Sometimes you want to slow down the shutter speeds for waterfalls, rivers etc. And on sunny days it's pretty tough unless you use a ND filter.

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Iv shot with 100 ISO and below (lo1, lo2, lo3) with my D3 several times. Im trying some ring light flash work with the SB-29 and even at F32 some times at minium focus the captures will somtimes will be over exposed. And since there TTL dosnt work with this flash on the D3:confused: . So using the low ISO is a really good feature IMO
    Another time I use this feature is when shooting outside with the 85 1.4 or the 200 f2 and want to keep the lens wide open and the shutter speed needs to be higher than 1/8000.
    If I had a Noct(and some day I will) this feature keep you from having to use ND filters over the naked front element.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Ok, so it's basically just a way of EV compensation? That's what I was wondering. I couldn't imagine it was for reduced noise like I used to use Velvia 50 for the absolute least amount of grain possible.
    Thanks for the explanation!

5. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    >>>>> "Iv shot with 100 ISO and below (lo1, lo2, lo3) with my D3 several times."

Huh? Below 100?

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I just checked I guess(now understand) the low 123 stands for (160 ISO , 140 ISO, 100 ISO) Sorry about that. Ill blame my error on the flu medicine.:cool:  Why dont they just say what ISO. Its hard for us old timers that used to have to lift the shutter speed dials on are F2 and set are ASA or Din.

7. wondering that also...

200 iso base I have shot sevral time with 100iso
    all I see is the ability to shoot another stop open if I'm using fill flash and limited to
    250th flash sync

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.