Any audiophiles here?

Ok, we have lots of wine lovers here.
Any audiophiles? I am hooked, large vinyl collection, tubes, etc.
Just starting to listen to some digital sources- mostly dsd formats.
I just got a pair of stax l300 headphones. Just put them on tonight. AMAZING
Much like photography there is a lot of tinkering. The headphones I just got are from japan, so I had to rewire the power supply. I think that is half of the fun.
Anyone on the fence- the stax electrostatic ear speakers are the best I have ever heard.
Now back to the tunes!!
gary

Uh, oh. This could get expensive!

C16100A6-7FF2-4B2F-8CCF-C52E19C5BC64.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice setup. I am using Pass electronics, dunlavy sciva speakers and an oracle table. Tube powered Herron phono preamp.
I am listening to digital as my benz cartridge is at the factory being rebuilt. Turnaround time is 2-4 years. Might have to buy another cartridge- bummer. Almost as expensive as camera gear- or maybe more.
Don't tell my wife
gary

Nice setup. I am using Pass electronics, dunlavy sciva speakers and an oracle table. Tube powered Herron phono preamp.
I am listening to digital as my benz cartridge is at the factory being rebuilt. Turnaround time is 2-4 years. Might have to buy another cartridge- bummer. Almost as expensive as camera gear- or maybe more.
Don't tell my wife
gary
I just got the shelving system after ordering back in March! It’s another addiction for sure. Ayre amp and preamp, Clearuadio Concept TT, Sutherland 2020 phono pre, Innuous streamer and Chord DAC for digital. Focal 936 speakers. Rel sub for 2 channel and JL Audio to go with that for HT. Try to use everything for home theater and 2 channel in this room.

Got a couple of other setups - one for office, workout room and workshop to tinker with. We should post pictures.

I don't know why I have never photographed any of the setups. Good idea.
Unlike camera equip I spent several years building a system- and when I was done I have not changed anything in 25years. The music changed a little, but I quit the equipment chasing. I wish I could do that in photography as well
gary

Years ago I had a pair of Magneplanars. A friend of mine in college had a pair of Ohm F's. he had a collection of Dead bootlegs and did on-site recordings for the local NPR affiliates. I actually taught him how to develop film and of course he went on the Hassleblad - Leica route. Funny how fine equipment dovetails.

I still have an NAD tuner . . .

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I upgraded my headphones during lockdown with a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron's and a Lehmannaudio Drachenfels headphone amp. Wow what a difference it made compared to the basic headphones I had before.

I have a Musical Fidelty CD player as my main source, and a basic sort of Project turntable for the old LP's of my youth.

My Hegel pre amp, Fase Power amp and my Celestion speakers must be over twenty years old now but are fine for my ears.

I abandoned vinyl many years ago when CD's appeared as the sound quality of a well mastered CD is far superior to vinyl in my opinion. People I know who work with sound tell me that the warmness that people like with vinyl, is really distortion. But that is a whole new fascinating subject.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Oh yes. all Flavors and varieties. Example: Speakers used current and in past include Mirage OM1, Theil CS3, Klipsch Forte, Polk SRS, Mirage Omni, SVS, KEF, etc etc etc… you get the idea. Love Class A amps, tube amps, love old American Adcom and Macintosh gear. Carver. Love old receivers from the 70s receiver wars, Regarding Vinyl, to many cartridges to list, tubes, integrated amps, etc etc etc. Digital, Analog, live audio engineering recording back in the day… yep, I am an audiophile.

Ohm F's- making me drool. A friend had a pair years ago. I recently tried to find a pair without success.
Just listened to a Dahlquist DQ-10 setup- very nice.
Glad I am not the only nut around here.
I am still shocked at how good the stax ear speakers sound.
Isn't it wonderful we can enjoy such things.
gary

Real Name
Andrew
I'm an "audiophile on a budget" kind of person right now.

I got myself a FiiO E10K DAC for my PC, going into a Little Dot Mk II which powers a few different sets of headphones. Something about the richness and fullness I get from those tubes just sings to my ears.

For rock and metal I like the Grado SR 225E (32 Ohm)
For monitoring Video productions I'm building, I like the Audio Technica ATH M50X (32 Ohm)
For everything else, my do it all and loving it headphones are BeyerDynamic DT880 Chrome Special Editions (250 Ohm)

My wife likes the HiFiMan HE4xx Planar (35 Ohm) headphones - but she is a basshead. She loves a deep V sounding curve with an extended bass range response. When she got her latest car (A 2015 Honda Accord Coupe 6 Speed Manual), it came with a premium sound system with subwoofers. That girl is in heaven in that car! :)

I like a nice punchy bass, but appreciate a more present mid range and a crisp but not sibilant highs.

All in all a decent little setup with great sound options for less than a middle of the road camera setup.

I'm an "audiophile on a budget" kind of person
I match that descriptor. While I do love equipment, I'm not out there buying the latest and greatest as new stuff is announced. And I certainly don't shell out 1000s of dollars for half a meter of interconnect or power cables, magic fuses and the like. My wife moderates my spending urges!
That said, the highligt of my day is when my wife leaves the house for a while—and I can listen to music at optimum levels and revel in that wonderful soundstage that I've help create! (Been hard to to do recently, as we're both retired and of course, COVID!).

I bought a Mac C26 Preamp, MC2100 power amp, and two Mac speakers when I finished grad school back in 1973. They all still work, though the C26 has a noisy volume control, and the speakers had to be re-coned by McIntosh several years ago. My main speakers are Klipsch Fortes purchased in the 1980s, and I have a Thorens turntable.

Sadly, I haven't turned this system on in months. The hearing aids don't like it.

Most of my listening is of concert videos from the Berlin Philharmonic and other European ensembles through Medici.TV and the Metropolitan Opera on Demand. I stream these to my TV and play the audio through a Denon receiver and 4-speaker Paradigm setup, with the sound channelled directly to my Phonak hearing aids through the Phonak TV adapter.

I've recently taken to listening to Idagio, an internet-based, curated classical music service out of Germany. I listen to the free system, but there are a couple of levels of membership that add features and sound quality. The curation allows one to search by composer, conductor, soloists, date, instruments, locations etc.

Reactions: McQ
I've recently taken to listening to Idagio, an internet-based, curated classical music service out of Germany. I listen to the free system, but there are a couple of levels of membership that add features and sound quality. The curation allows one to search by composer, conductor, soloists, date, instruments, locations etc.

Nick, look at The Digital Concert Hall of the Berlin Philharmonic. They have a similar search function, but only by composer, conductor, etc, of their archive of concert videos going back nearly 25 years. Video and audio quality of these streams is superb. Medici.TV also has a search function. These are both subscription services but I fortunately get free access through the VT library, which also includes the Metropolitan Opera On Demand.

Reactions: McQ
Nick, look at The Digital Concert Hall of the Berlin Philharmonic. They have a similar search function, but only by composer, conductor, etc, of their archive of concert videos going back nearly 25 years. Video and audio quality of these streams is superb. Medici.TV also has a search function. These are both subscription services but I fortunately get free access through the VT library, which also includes the Metropolitan Opera On Demand.
I'm familiar with the Berlin Philharmonic site, having watched a few concerts at a friends place, but for us at home, TV is a very minor appliance. An old 27" tucked away in a bookshelf gets called into service for PBS Masterpiece/Mystery and Newshour and not much more.

The Met is a gem—our local community/non-profit movie theater screens them on selected Sundays. Fabulous sound, great company and a glass of decent wine.

F64

Real Name
Greg
I own a pair of Infinity QLS-1 speakers (18-32KHz +/- 2dB), powered by a Bryston 4BSST. I have a Marantz pre-pro AV7702MKII that handles I/O and a Mackie HRS120 subwoofer (THS certified).

I rebuilt a pair of Heathkit tube amps and enjoyed the warm sound for a while with a custom built set of horn speakers.

For those of you who don't know the psychoacoustics of tube vs. transistor amps - tube amps produce mainly 2nd order harmonic distortion which is similar to what the human ear produces. The brain filters/ignores this distortion which explains why tube amps sound so sweet even though their levels of distortion commonly reach 0.1-1.0%.

Class A/B transistor amps produce 3rd order harmonic distortion - which the ear is very sensitive to. In order for them to be efficient and accurate they have to have very low levels of THD. The Bryston for example is rated at 0.005% or less.

Typical receivers are often rated around 0.1% at rated power - which explains why they often sound strident and brittle.

Over the years, engineers have used class A circuits to produce sound with low distortion - however, the electrical cost is high - hence many produce at most 100 watts per channel - but for audiophiles with deep pockets - they are very desirable.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom