Any audiophiles here?

Real Name
Mike
If you’re not serious about room treatments you’re not really hearing what you’re paying for.
True, but we all don't have the luxury of a dedicated room without upsetting the family harmony. Especially living in a 1300 sqft townhome like me. I do the best I can w/ a small budget and small home.

Mitch
You need to convert the digital files to analog somewhere to play them on our audio equipment.
I use an external dac, mytek stereo192 dsd, to do the conversion. It is about 10 years old, but still works great.
USB2 from the computer to the dac, then audio cables from the dac to the preamp/receiver.
Most computers have some type of audio out- even if it is just a headphone jack. You could use that as a trial, but I suspect you will want an actual dac.
Even the $100 dragonfly sounds pretty good.
Gary

True, but we all don't have the luxury of a dedicated room without upsetting the family harmony. Especially living in a 1300 sqft townhome like me. I do the best I can w/ a small budget and small home.
I never had that luxury either. My point is that throwing more and more money at gear in a sub-optimal set up is not very beneficial. I found that a near-field set up served me best, though it didn't make working at my desk as easy as I would have preferred. ;)

Real Name
Ken
Wow, I forgot how easy it is to fall into an audio rabbit hole. I found out I am going to have surgery in a few weeks and I was told that I might be in the hospital for anywhere from 3-7 days post-op. Music always seems to put me in a better mood, and as I am not sure if they will allow my beloved to visit, let alone anybody else, I thought a pair of headphones would be helpful during my recovery so I could listen to music and watch videos. At home, I have my Senn HD600's which are wonderful, but a bit large. I also have my Etymotic IEM's and the Samsung/AKG earbuds that came with my Galaxy S8 phone, but my concern with them, especially the Ety's is too much sound isolation and a concern that I might not hear any equipment beeps or warnings.

My initial thought was to pick up a very inexpensive pair of Koss KPH30i headphones, since they are supposed to sound okay, be comfortable, and they are expendable if anything should happen to them. Then I started looking to see what other options I had then then fell into the rabbit hole. I am not going to name the names and models that came up, but it did cause me to pause and wonder since I have not hear the Koss headphones, so I would be buying any new headphones without a trial.

I am certainly not looking for perfection, but I do tend to like a neutral sound that does not have any extended bass. And since I am going to be in bed, I am hoping that whatever I choose will be comfortable. I am going to try the Samsung earbuds to see if they allow enough noise to leak in, but I would still like a backup plan. Any thoughts?

--Ken

Had back surgery in May and required another 7 days stay before I was released. Those 1st 2-3 days after the surgery were pretty much lost as the pain meds kept me pretty much out of it. Was very fortunate as the hospital here in Atlanta did allow my wife to stay with me the full time. Personally I would just go with something like ear buds instead of trying to bring in something new which would also probably have to go through a breakin period. I slept most of the time so the post surgery stay passed very quickly, when not sleeping was being poked for blood to monitor my vitals.

Don't know what the advances have been in headphones as my last pair were some Sennheiser open air design.

Real Name
Ken
Had back surgery in May and required another 7 days stay before I was released. Those 1st 2-3 days after the surgery were pretty much lost as the pain meds kept me pretty much out of it. Was very fortunate as the hospital here in Atlanta did allow my wife to stay with me the full time. Personally I would just go with something like ear buds instead of trying to bring in something new which would also probably have to go through a breakin period. I slept most of the time so the post surgery stay passed very quickly, when not sleeping was being poked for blood to monitor my vitals.

Don't know what the advances have been in headphones as my last pair were some Sennheiser open air design.
Kind of as I suspected, but thought it might be nice to have music just in case I was able to listen. Thought about the break-in period as well, and have a few weeks to address that if need be. Hope you are continuing to heal well.

--Ken

Wow, I forgot how easy it is to fall into an audio rabbit hole. I found out I am going to have surgery in a few weeks and I was told that I might be in the hospital for anywhere from 3-7 days post-op. Music always seems to put me in a better mood, and as I am not sure if they will allow my beloved to visit, let alone anybody else, I thought a pair of headphones would be helpful during my recovery so I could listen to music and watch videos. At home, I have my Senn HD600's which are wonderful, but a bit large. I also have my Etymotic IEM's and the Samsung/AKG earbuds that came with my Galaxy S8 phone, but my concern with them, especially the Ety's is too much sound isolation and a concern that I might not hear any equipment beeps or warnings.

My initial thought was to pick up a very inexpensive pair of Koss KPH30i headphones, since they are supposed to sound okay, be comfortable, and they are expendable if anything should happen to them. Then I started looking to see what other options I had then then fell into the rabbit hole. I am not going to name the names and models that came up, but it did cause me to pause and wonder since I have not hear the Koss headphones, so I would be buying any new headphones without a trial.

I am certainly not looking for perfection, but I do tend to like a neutral sound that does not have any extended bass. And since I am going to be in bed, I am hoping that whatever I choose will be comfortable. I am going to try the Samsung earbuds to see if they allow enough noise to leak in, but I would still like a backup plan. Any thoughts?

--Ken
If you can “practice” with the buds before you goi in, that may give you how long you can stand those. I have a pair of HiFiman HD400s that are super comfortable. They are planar magentic that gives a pretty neutral tone. https://hifiman.com/products/detail/310

Lots to choose from on their product site. Good luck with surgery! I have L5/S1 issue over 4 years, and have been doing my best to avoid surgery.

Real Name
Ken
If you can “practice” with the buds before you goi in, that may give you how long you can stand those. I have a pair of HiFiman HD400s that are super comfortable. They are planar magentic that gives a pretty neutral tone. https://hifiman.com/products/detail/310

Lots to choose from on their product site. Good luck with surgery! I have L5/S1 issue over 4 years, and have been doing my best to avoid surgery.
I have started to "practice" with the cheaper Samsung buds since I normally wear the Ety's or Senn's. I have lower back and neck issues, but this surgery isn't for back issues. And like you, I have tired to avoid surgery, and was successful for about 30 years.

--Ken

Post op I would want the isolation. Your docs and nurses will take care of all the beeps and alarms. I would prefer not to hear them, as most are not significant- and as a patient you really can't do anything about them anyway.
Have a good source on your phone/device with lots of your favorite tunes.
Rock on
gary

Kind of as I suspected, but thought it might be nice to have music just in case I was able to listen. Thought about the break-in period as well, and have a few weeks to address that if need be. Hope you are continuing to heal well.

--Ken
Still quite a way to go , T7-T10 and then scrapings from hip to help bones heal. Had 7 screws and 2 plates inserted to fuze and stabilize the spine. Still a bit unstable when walking and have been given instructions to not bend, lean or lift anything more than 10lbs., biggest shock is the loss of muscle and having to sleep on my back. Can walk unaided now but still some stability issues, it will be quite some time before I get back on a paddle board. Really need to get clearence from the surgeon to start working arms and chest and build them back up, as it is very tiresome and difficult to shot with anything other than the Z7 and the 50mm for more than couple minutes at a time.

Real Name
Ken
Post op I would want the isolation. Your docs and nurses will take care of all the beeps and alarms. I would prefer not to hear them, as most are not significant- and as a patient you really can't do anything about them anyway.
Have a good source on your phone/device with lots of your favorite tunes.
Rock on
gary
Yeah, from past experiences I was thinking about peace and quiet, something quite rare in a hospital setting. But it is good to know if something is beeping so you can hit a call button if need be. I hope they have good Wi-Fi, but I will d/l some good music as well.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Still quite a way to go , T7-T10 and then scrapings from hip to help bones heal. Had 7 screws and 2 plates inserted to fuze and stabilize the spine. Still a bit unstable when walking and have been given instructions to not bend, lean or lift anything more than 10lbs., biggest shock is the loss of muscle and having to sleep on my back. Can walk unaided now but still some stability issues, it will be quite some time before I get back on a paddle board. Really need to get clearence from the surgeon to start working arms and chest and build them back up, as it is very tiresome and difficult to shot with anything other than the Z7 and the 50mm for more than couple minutes at a time.
Wow! It sounds like you got your money's worth from your surgeon. I hope you continue to heal and regain your strength. I have mostly managed to avoid major surgeries during my lifetime, and this one has got me nervous. I recently had a pathology report that identified some potentially pre-cancerous cells in my gut, so they are wholesaling out a portion of it. No more description needed, but it is a good reminder why routine procedures can ward off potentially deadly outcomes, even if they eventually involve surgery. Getting old is often not easy, but it sure beats the alternatives.

And having hobbies sure helps distract the mind when needed.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Quick update. I decided to pick up a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus, despite my looking at numerous open ear cans. I never thought I would buy a wireless set of headphones/earbuds, but they offered an ambient mode that lets in surrounding sound; they have a very flat curve with no bass, mid-tone or treble humps or dips; excellent battery life; and, sounded way better than they have a right to. Since I still have all of my audiophile headphones and IEM's, no thought was needed about what I was replacing, and since these sounded right and were more comfortable than I expected, it was mostly just a financial decision (with a sale price that made the decision a lot easier). I am glad that I initially stumbled across them (as well as many positive reviews), and am hoping that Mick was right - sometimes we get what we need.

--Ken

Quick update. I decided to pick up a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus, despite my looking at numerous open ear cans. I never thought I would buy a wireless set of headphones/earbuds, but they offered an ambient mode that lets in surrounding sound; they have a very flat curve with no bass, mid-tone or treble humps or dips; excellent battery life; and, sounded way better than they have a right to. Since I still have all of my audiophile headphones and IEM's, no thought was needed about what I was replacing, and since these sounded right and were more comfortable than I expected, it was mostly just a financial decision (with a sale price that made the decision a lot easier). I am glad that I initially stumbled across them (as well as many positive reviews), and am hoping that Mick was right - sometimes we get what we need.

--Ken
Sounds like you made a great call. Now best wishes to successful surgery and complete recovery!

IEM's are getting so much better in terms of SQ, comfort and ease of connection. I have some 1 More Wireless buds I picked up a couple of years ago for $80. Great value, but a little finicky with iOS connectivity sometimes. When the AirPods pro went on sale, I bought a pair. These are slight more comfortable than 1 More and others i have used. SQ is pretty dang good and has the noise cancelling mode too. Pairs perfectly with my other Apple devices.

Real Name
Ken
Sounds like you made a great call. Now best wishes to successful surgery and complete recovery!

IEM's are getting so much better in terms of SQ, comfort and ease of connection. I have some 1 More Wireless buds I picked up a couple of years ago for $80. Great value, but a little finicky with iOS connectivity sometimes. When the AirPods pro went on sale, I bought a pair. These are slight more comfortable than 1 More and others i have used. SQ is pretty dang good and has the noise cancelling mode too. Pairs perfectly with my other Apple devices.
Thanks for the well wishes. I suspect I am going to need them. And it amazes me that wireless earbuds for under $100 can produce sound that I paid hundreds of dollars for years ago. There are limitations due to physics, but as I said, my first impression is that these didn't mess with the sound and everything sounded as I thought it should. I guess getting a bit older and losing a bit more hearing "off the top" probably makes the task a bit easier, but when I tested some of the other EQ setting beyond normal, it was easy to hear that the music did not sound right, so kudos to Samsung/AKG for not messing things up.

--Ken

Real Name
Mike
Since this is a photo forum let's see photos of your systems.
I tried to think outside of the box and make photos of my system more interesting.
amp2.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TT.JPG
cd : tuner.JPG
system2.JPG

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Nice, dreamy photos! I like the effect. So you have tube amp, Thorens TT, Sony disc player, couple pieces of Schiit? What speakers?
Marantz cdp used as a transport w/ Schiit Audio DAC. Plus a Schiit phono preamp for turntable. Paragon Radiant quasi transmission-line speakers retrofitted w/ SEAS Froy Mk3 kit from Madisound.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom