Any audiophiles here?

My Magnepan LRS’ speakers arrived on Friday, safe and sound (pun intended!) After an hour to remove my old speakers and assemble the LRS’ I was in business. Aware that I had simply placed them close to where my old speakers sat, and that they were straight out of the box, I was nonetheless simply blown away by the sound. These are stunning instruments that so far have exceeded my expectations for them! Even my wife loves the sound, and finds them very attractive too.

I have about 15+ hours on them and have made a few tweaks to their placement; they now sit on factory stands about 50” from the front wall, no toe in and with the tweeters on the outside. When my wife leaves this weekend to visit our daughter for a couple of weeks I will put on the Magna Riser Mk 7 stands, work on seeking the best sound and listen to them at the volumes they were designed for! Even now, the soundstage is wide, deep, transparent and authoritative. Piano and strings especially sound absolutely amazing.

It was well worth the wait for the LRS’ and Magna Risers; about 22 weeks, but with frequent and informative correspondence. To have something individually crafted, and not mass-produced by faceless “workers” is a real honor. Both Magnepan and Magna Riser do great work and my thanks to all involved.

Robert and Shauna Raus of Magna Risers are amazing to work with—such passion! Eric at Magnepan is quite the character and so helpful. After I sent him a thank-you email this morning I got a call from the legendary Wendell Diller (Maggies longtime head of sales, marketing, and product development) we talked about lots of things for over an hour!

PS Audio, Magna Risers and Magnepan—three of a kind and ever so dedicated.

Still waiting for Mr Nikon/B&H/Adorama/etc. to call me :rolleyes::cool:

Real Name
Ken
When my wife leaves this weekend to visit our daughter for a couple of weeks I will put on the Magna Riser Mk 7 stands, work on seeking the best sound and listen to them at the volumes they were designed for!
Visions of Nick reliving his youth, as scenes of Tom Cruise dancing in Risky Business fly through our heads. Unfortunately YT will not allow me to link to any of the videos.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Check out https://www.allaboutjazz.com/daring-mind-jihye-lee-orchestra-motema-music somewhat modern take on jazz orchestra.

Also, clears throat, this thread is worthless w/o pictures!
For us bottleheads, one might say this thread is worthless without sharing our secret sources for NOS tubes.:rolleyes: I had a few good local sources, but unfortunately they have passed on. And one was an amazing repair technician who was fabulous with point-to-point wiring troubleshooting. He fixed myheadphone/pre-amp and saved me a bundle for not having to send it back to Ontario, CA to get it repaired. He was quite cantankerous, but he also turned me on to Melody Gardot.

--Ken

My Magnepan LRS’ speakers arrived on Friday, safe and sound (pun intended!) After an hour to remove my old speakers and assemble the LRS’ I was in business. Aware that I had simply placed them close to where my old speakers sat, and that they were straight out of the box, I was nonetheless simply blown away by the sound. These are stunning instruments that so far have exceeded my expectations for them! Even my wife loves the sound, and finds them very attractive too.

I have about 15+ hours on them

Palouse,
If these Maggies are like their predecessors, they will sound even better after several hundred hours of use! Had two different models over the years (purchased new) and both got much better with time.

Have fun!

Plinius 9200 stereo amp = 200Wrms/ch 8 ohms - 300+Wrms/ch 4ohms
Marantz SA-14S1 Special Edition SACD Player
Thorens TD160 Turntable
Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers with differential bass loading - 4 ohm. Efficiency is about 90dB/W/mt. These are Australian made speakers.
Mini computer with ripped music - goes through the DAC of the Marantz SACD player. A top notch DAC is a Godsend and the Marantz DAC sounds great.

My biggest gripe these days is with the current push to compress CD's and digital music in general. One of the big reasons to go to CD in the early days was the benefit of high dynamic range and now they compress the hell out of much of the modern digital music *and* some of the re-releases of old CD's. I look for old CD releases rather then new and check their score on Loudness Wars:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/
Invariably, my favourite tracks always have higher dynamic range than the compressed stuff.

Last edited:
Plinius 9200 stereo amp = 200Wrms/ch 8 ohms - 300+Wrms/ch 4ohms
Marantz SA-14S1 Special Edition SACD Player
Thorens TD160 Turntable
Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers with differential bass loading - 4 ohm. Efficiency is about 90dB/W/mt. These are Australian made speakers.
Mini computer with ripped music - goes through the DAC of the Marantz SACD player. A top notch DAC is a Godsend and the Marantz DAC sounds great.

My biggest gripe these days is with the current push to compress CD's and digital music in general. One of the big reasons to go to CD in the early days was the benefit of high dynamic range and now they compress the hell out of much of the modern digital music *and* some of the re-releases of old CD's. I look for old CD releases rather then new and check their score on Loudness Wars:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/
Invariably, my favourite tracks always have higher dynamic range than the compressed stuff.
Agree. CDs are sounding great— well, some of them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom