Any cyclists in here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seth, May 21, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've been cycling for about 3 years now.. just got into it when a co-worker talked me into riding the MS150. I didn't even own a bicycle then so I had to borrow a mtb to train on. I've been hooked ever since.

Now my wife complains about all of my expensive hobbies.. daanngit.

Any others? Road? Mtb?

2. I am trying to get into cycling. To this end, I went to a used cycle shop here in Ottawa. They were selling bicycles that looked like they had been dragged out of a landfill for $350.00. I couldn't believe it! I am obviously still looking...

3. I am. I raced competitively on the road for a number of years and will get back into racing in the near future. I still ride, but not as much as I used to. I hear you about expensive hobbies, I would really love to get another Seven Cycles frame.... or should I get the 200-400 and the 500.... decisions, decisions!

-Eugene

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Mtb has drained my wallet long before photography and still does. Ah well it's the price of passion :wink:

5. I am on and off a serious rider. When on, I will get in 150 miles per week. Off? Ah well.

I am also a very dedicated bicycle mechanic. I also tinker with different designs, have made my own parts, etc.

Riding wise I completely ignore the different "styles" or "genres" though I do enjoy the various parts that become available because of them.

6. I just got into mt. biking last year. I bought an 06 gary fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Awesome bike! I usually ride 3 times a week. I probably have as much in my mt. bike stuff as I do my Nikon gear. :biggrin:

7. My 16 yo son absolutly had to have a $500.00 mountain bike last year so he saved and got one (we paid half). Now he has his drivers licence and he skwaks like a wounded banshee when I tell him he can walk or ride his bike to work instead of driving my car that horrendous block and a half from home to work.

8. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
  9. I ride regularly, too.. mostly recreational road riding... my mountain bike mostly collects dust since it's easier to ride locally than driving to a trail.

I'm pretty happy with my 2005 Giant OCR C3 so I'm not falling for "bicycle lust" right now.

I finished my first century last year... it was a great experience (easy to say after it's over).

Does anyone regularly take their DSLR with them on their rides? Any hints if you do?

10. Road bikes, mine cost $3500 and I rode at least 25 miles per day until I moved from California to Utah. I rode a century on my 65th birthday The drivers here are pretty ignorant and do not think that cyclists belong on the same road with them. I gave cycling up rather than my life and so I walk for excercise now. I still have my bike, a Bianchi, Campy Record equipped with carbon front fork. Perfectly sized for a 6'1'' rider.

11. emidyl

emidyl

Jan 28, 2007
    GTA
    Been heavy into MTB for the last 4 years after almost 15 years hiatus. My 1st MTB was a Fisher Montare back in '87 and and I still have that.
    Currently I ride a Santa Cruz Nomad and Commencal Meta 5.2 mostly on specified technical singletrack trails. I agree with riding on the roads nowadays as it really has gotten very dangerous out there.
    Locally I ride at Kelso, part of Halton's series of conservation parks.

12. It is dangerous out there.

I've been hit five times over my life, four since I moved here to Sillycon Valley, California. I raise heck when it happens, often scaring the blazes out of the driver. :biggrin:

The last one I dented a Honda Accord door pretty badly when he cut me off. He started out yelling at ME over it! :mad: He ended up having a bad day. :biggrin:

13. Here by the way is one of the crazier setups I built. Nobody knows why.

Nearly complete dual set of controls. I hate road bars so it didn't last very long. Frame is a steel (only steel for me thanks) lugged Atlantis, hand made in Japan for Rivendell bicycles.

[​IMG]

14. I love my mountain bike! It's a Cannondale V2000 all Shimano XTR. No car to worry about in the woods just deer :)

Anthony

15. Now that's a nice collection of bicycles HHARRIS! The only other steed I have is my Merlin Road, which is currently stripped down to the frame waiting to be rebuilt in the future. I've been meaning to get some "glamour shots" of my Seven since it has been over 7 years since I got the bike and made numerous changes and upgrades. Sounds like a photo shoot to add to my list.

Keep the pics coming! I love to see old, new and unusual bikes that are out there.

-Eugene

16. Just looking at the head tube, you have a gorgeous frame Beezle! Reminds me a little of Richard Sachs. I would love to get one of his frames in the future. Nice guy too. I raced with him in some local time trials way back in the mid-late 80's. He was fast...

-Eugene

17. I started cycling two years ago in an effort to lose some weight and get into shape. Six months later I had lost over 50 lbs, and the weight has stayed off ever since.

I started out on a MTB (Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo), but I ended up with road slicks on it since I pretty much wasn't a trail rider. I now ride a flat bar road bike (Jamis Coda Elite) about 5-6 times a week, 12-20 miles a ride.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  18. A KLEIN fan here... :wink: Expensive... naaah... just a bit more than a D2Xs... :cool:
    original.

19. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Love riding, helps keep me mentally sane. (or otherwise)

Another Rodie here,

I have been serious about road cycling for about five years. Started eight years ago on a mountain bike, but found I loved the speed, smoothness and elegance of road cycling more. A couple of endos in Moab didn't help. :biggrin:

I have a custom built carbon framed Trek. All Dura Ace components with carbon seat stem and handlebars. With flangeless hubs it's weighing in at 15.75 pounds. On good weeks I can get in about 200-250 miles. My regular ride is up Provo Canyon and I am addicted to this route due to its tree covered trails, smooth surface, beaver ponds and safety from the Utah drivers.

Of the "cooler" attachments that I use, is the Garmon 305 GPS unit. It allows me to track all my rides and share them with my fellow riders. Here is a virtual ride using Motion Based and Google Maps. You can click on the start arrow to get a small feel of the ride.

Anyway, great riding to everyone!

20. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Awesome - I had no idea there'd be as many cyclists on here as there appear to be. I still consider myself a noob to it but I love it for sure. I don't ride a really expensive bike or anything like that so it's not nearly as much to look at as some you guys have posted. Nice bikes! I have a 2004 Specialized Allez. It does the trick for me and I'm sure eventually I'll want to upgrade components and such. Eventually I'd love to get into MTB but with a kid on the way and my other expensive hobbies I can't quite talk HQ into that.. =]

Oh, and I also did my first century last year. What a great experience it was. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it but just kept pushing and finished great. I sure didn't feel like shifting much on my drive home however.

So does anyone else enjoy doing the charity rides like the MS150 and others?