Any Difference

I purchased an Epson V600 along with a betterscan ANR insert around the first of the year to scan 35 mm film negs. I was thinking about selling the Epson and purchase a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE would I see any difference in the quality of scanning using this compared to the Epson? Thanks for the help.

Mark

I don't have either scanner model, but I do have both a good quality flat bed scanner and a dedicated negative/slide scanner. I can use the flat bed scanner for medium format film and get good results, but IMO 35mm really requires a dedicated film scanner to get results that are anything like images from a DSLR.

So yes, I see a dramatic difference and, while I am unfamiliar with the Plustek, I believe you will see a big difference also.

Luke thank you for your response.That was what I was looking for,if a dedicated film scanner is better for 35 negs than a flatbed.I only wish I could afford a coolscan

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Luke thank you for your response.That was what I was looking for,if a dedicated film scanner is better for 35 negs than a flatbed.I only wish I could afford a coolscan

Buy a Nikon Coolscan second hand and sell it again afterwards. They are expensive.

I bought one new and then sold it afterwards. I got the same as what I paid for it and it had done over 12,000 scans.

If you can do as Growltiger did then I am sure that a S/H Nikon Coolscan would be the best option.

There is no doubt in my mind that flatbed scanners have improved no end and in my case I settled on an Epson V500 which although at the 'low end', price and specification, produces very acceptable results and IMO better results from some of the 'low end' dedicated scanners including the early Plustek which I did try.

I am not familiar with the unit you mention however did read a review HERE which seems quite complimentary.
Quote:
The Plustek 7600i is a well-built, capable machine that made it simple to scan 35mm negatives and slides with helpful automatic defect removal using either the bundles SilverFast software, SilverFast Archive Suite or VueScan.
We were concerned the 7600i's strictly manual feed isn't up to heavy bouts of batch scanning. But that certainly keeps the price down.

But our main reservations have little to do with the product itself. We have a lot of film from the 1970s that is 35mm in size but not format and the 7600i couldn't capture the full frame. Being strictly limited to 35mm film reduces the utility of the unit such that a film-capable flatbed like the Epson V700/V750 makes a lot more sense.

Within its limits, though, the Plustek 7600i delivered the goods from a wide range of difficult originals. And that's saying something.

Also worth bearing in mind that the software applications abilities has a lot to do with quality. AFAIK Plustek supply the Silverfast software but in a cut down/lite version which has no where near the capabilities of the flagship application - this may or may not make a difference to your decision.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom