Any exp w/Sigma 30 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JNeumann31, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I really love my 50mm 1.4 but would like to add something a bit wider. Obviously the Nikon 28 1.4 would be the ultimate but I think it may be a bit overkill for me. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 seems reasonably priced at about the same legnth but I really don't know much about this lens. Any input would be nice. Thanks

2. Neilss

Neilss Guest

I've had the 30mm 1.4 for a month now and have used it alot. I also have the 50 1.4 but wanted something wider with some speed. I also have the 24 2.8 and 35 2.0 nikkors and use them on a D70S and a D2HS.

The Sigma is very good. I have had no focus problems others have mentioned. The focus is very fast and very quiet.

The 35 2.0 Nikon is a hair sharper (resolves fine details better) at 2.0 than the Sigma at 1.4 but the difference is very very slight and of course the Sigma offers 1.4 the Nikon doesn't. By 2.8 the Sigma may be a little better than the Nikon.

The color is very good, very saturated.

If you like the 50 1.4 you'll like the 30 Sigma

3. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I agree. I've had mine for a couple of months and find it quite sharp and usable. Note that current inventory needs to be rechipped for full functionality on the D200 (the rear 'AF-ON' button doesn't work - otherwise it works just fine.) If you'd like I can e-mail you a shot with the D200.

4. That would be great if you can email me a shot.
    Thank you

5. zigzag

zigzag

Oct 16, 2005
    Boston
    Just got this lens, and my sample seems sharp with a good bokeh. To my fairly untrained eye, it's at least as sharp as my 50 1.8D.

6. Jake

Jake

Dec 29, 2005
    Mine has lousy performance wide open. In fact, I just sent it in to have it checked and hopefully recalibrated. My Nikon 50mm / 1.8 D is so much better. I suspect it is a matter of focussing accuracy rather than optical performance. I am using it on a Nikon D70. It also needs a firmware upgrade for correct AF on the Nikon D200.

7. larryk

larryk

Sep 6, 2005
    Edmonton
    I have had the Sigma 30 1.4 for two months and am pleased with it. It is a great lens for low light photography. I have not experienced any of the focus problems that many have. I use it on a D2H.

8. samples

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chad

Those are very good pics. Thanks for posting them.

Regards
    JohnG

10. Just got mine this afternoon. Haven't really had a chance to do a proper test drive - but wahey, I can do night streetshooting at iso 400!!; will post some photos later. Appears sharp, contrasty and seemingly free of the dreaded 'sigma yellow' also; no backfocus/frontfocus.

Ming