Any experience with the Tamron 11-18?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ALL:

I have the chance to buy a 3 month old Tamron 11-18mm for an excellent price ($350). I was wondering if any of you have this lens and what you think of it. I want to go as wide as possible for the money, so I had been considering the Sigma 10-20. However, lots of pictures on Flickr exhibit the well-known light fall off. I have ruled out the Nikon 12-24 and the Tokina 12-24, since, on a 1.5x crop factor camera, the 1-2mm's matter quite a bit.

All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

2. ALL:

Please forgive this thread. I realize now that this subject has beed discussed quite a bit. The problem is, and I am embarassed, that I found the search menu only after posting my question. So, if want to chime in, please do. Otherwise, sorry for the repetition.

Craig

3. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    One vote for the SIGMA 10-20

I love my SIGMA 10-20.

I didn't see any light fall off on mine as much as I do with my 18-200VR

[​IMG]

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Don't rule out the Tokina and Nikkor, they may not be as wide but they are certainly still very wide and suitable most of the time and are both optically superior to the Sigma and Tamron.

Theres a review on Nikonians comparing both of them, the Tamron came last IIRC.

5. Although I very much appreciate all opinions -- they really do help me make a decision -- I am really hoping for some feedback from Tamron 11-18 users.

Craig

6. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    nikonians conclusion was, that the lens is very nice, but not better than the others, and not as big a focal lenght range, nor as fast. altought its the smalles and lightest available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.