Any experts want to comment on this photo

Discussion in 'People' started by shudderbug2, Oct 18, 2005.

1. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    and guess what camera was used?

[​IMG]

2. David,

I'm not an "expert" nor do I know what camera you used I will say that I love this image. Well done!

Woody

3. Looks like one right out of time magazine. Love the grain. Is this a scanned B&W 35mm negitive?

4. No expert but do like the image. The grain fits in well with the overall look of the image. I like how you used a slow enough shutter speed to get the rain in streaks. Well done.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent image. Lots of emotion there. Good job.

Shoud be on the cover of time or life or whatever :>)))

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My guess? A cell phone camera? :wink:
    Jees, I hope I'm not going to come off sounding all negative and stuff here, that's not my intention, 'cause I do love the feel of the shot, the rain, the grain the B&W conversion. However what doesn't work for me here is that fact that you really can't see the child's face, mostly just the back of his head, or the gent's holding him up either. Now, if you knew who they were, it'd be a keeper snapshot for sure, but for the average stranger viewing the shot, well there isn't much of a COI (Center of Interest) to keep their interest here. Do you or anyone else see my point here? Maybe it's just me, but I've never much cared for shots of the back of ppl's heads. :redface:

Now, go take that "expert" review, add $2.75, and go buy yourself a Starbuck's Latte. :tongue:

7. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    David, great photo! I really like this one. The B&W and the "grain" really set the mood in this one. Well done. :smile:

8. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Personally I love this shot, a lot. As for the camera, I will guess and old Nikon Manual Focus with Kodak Tri-X film.

Steve, I understand where you are coming from, but I have to disagree. There are many aspects of this image that can grab your interest, sure there isn't ONE CoI, but then who says an image has to have just one. Think about it, in this one image you have:

- A father carrying his son on his shoulders in the rain
    - Dad pulling at his shirt (most likely due to the shirt riding up from the little boy on his shoulders
    - Little boy trying to hold onto dad's head while clutching his America flag in one hand and suckers in the other - makes you question where they are coming from
    - Little boy facing off to the left - What is he looking at? That alone got my looking into the upper right of the frame to what appears to be a person in the distance.
    - The busy background, looks like a major city street

As for the backs of people's head, I agree with that in most cases, but in this instance I don't have a problem with it. For being a candid, photojournalist style photo like this appears to be, seeing the people's faces may have detracted from the image.

Just my $.02 and I am by far no expert!

9. Hey there David,

I too really like this shot. Have no idea what camera you used....makes no difference to me, as it's the emotion and the context that makes the shot here.

I also agree with Gordon about the choice of shutter speed to accent the rain.

I differ from Steve, in that I think the image works better with the father's face in partial profile, and the child's from behind. Again, it's the context that works.....too much facial prominence would detract from the overall feel.

So....tell us about what equipment you used. But rest assured that the shot works as is, independent of the camera used.

Best wishes,

David

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The two tiny white dots, just below and to the left of, the flag scream FILM FILM FILM!!! In fact, this is a scan of a print I believe. No idea what camera. Without seeing the frame lines, it is very difficult to discern one film camera from another.

So, what is it? I WANT ANSWERS!!! :biggrin:

12. I'm an expert.
    Not, unfortunately, in photographic arts. :redface:

I like the shot.

A common theme in this thread is "Camera? Which? Doesn't matter"
    Good lesson there, huh?

Kodak Brownie perhaps.

13. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    My guess...

First off I really like the pic, like others have said the shutter speed really creates the mood.

As for the camera, I would guess an F3 and Ilford HP4 I'll even go so far as to say the lens was the 85 1.8. I shot alot of that combination when I younger and that's what this looks like to me. If you shot this in digital and created that look in post I would love to know how you did it.

14. It was shot at 1/60th sec.

Average raindrops fall at about 14 mph or 20 fps.

That is a light rain. Likely small drops at about 10 mph or 15 fps.

During the exposure they travel about 3 inches.

.25 foot at 15 fps....ergo....1/60th second.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

I'm a geek. I know because my 13 y/o daughter tells me so.

BTW nice shot. Except I'd clone out the distracting arm at lower left now that the film is digitized.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  15. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Film is the answer....digital I wish

I want this look in digital.

Shot with a good old film camera with ISO400 B/W film.

I just hope that someone can come up with post to duplicate this kind of look and grain. The character that it adds to a shot is just unreal.

I could have cloned out some stuff and fixed some imperfections in post processing after a scan but chose to leave it unretouched.

This thread has really had some good feedback.

16. That is the nice thing of the D2X it can give you this in digital. It gives more film like grain on higher iso's and on hi-1 and hi-2 it gives real noise. So shoot with a D2X on iso 400 and underexpose a bit so then let the camera pull up the exposure. Or use the curve from dpreview from andrew.... (rade...) something i don't know the exact name i can dig up the curve somewhere if there is a need for your d2x. I used it for some time but it needs -1 to -2 in expose setting. It created sometimes these kind of grain. So then you only have to post process to black and white and give little bit sharpening and you are one happy digital user with filmy grain.

Btw nice shot!

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

17. Converting our digital to B&W is an art in its own right.
    I've seen chapters devoted to this. Books, likely, are devoted to it.

Does anyone here have a favorite method or a link to a good tutorial regarding this. It is an area in which I'd like to improve my, admittedly fledgling, skills.

I'm still feeling awed by the Ansel Adams exhibit I viewed last Friday. See it if you can.

BTW...I shouldn't be, but I'm annoyed by digicam owners who, in surveying my DSLR, say..."what do you mean it has no B&W or sepia mode". :Shocked: