Any fall photography tips?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by waleedy, Sep 27, 2008.

1. waleedy

waleedy

Aug 2, 2007
    Kuwait
    Hi all,

I am going out tomorrow with a friend to photograph fall !
    We are heading to Algonquin Park in Ontario.
    Any words of wisdoms? Tips for fall photography?
    Any website with a tutorial or advice?

Thanks

2. Without stating the obvious, its all about colour.

Maybe some nice reflections of colour in lakes/standing water ?

Maybe get down low and shoot wide from the perspective of a fallen leaf ?

Good luck.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Use a polarizing filter to eliminate the specular highlights and glare that can rob foliage of its color. This is especially useful in morning and afternoon when the sun is up but not directly overhead.

Reflections in water can be very nice, play around with different camera heights as it can change the reflection. Also don't assume it has to be a perfect mirror reflection. Moving water can also produce interesting effects as the colors are swirled and blurred by the water.

Backlighting can be very effective with colorful fall foliage (just be careful about lens flare).

4. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Velvia 100 or E100GX :biggrin: My two favorite autumn films.

5. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    Waleed, contrary to what most folks think colors pop best in overcast situations (just avoid catching the sky!). A circular polarizer helps, as noted above. I've seen shots where the leaves look all bunched together and everything looks mushed, so be careful to look for good contrast and separation.

Oh, and take a tripod, a remote release, take your time, and have fun!

gasho,

N

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.