Any feedback on the D700 and 24-120 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by azarby, Jul 27, 2008.

1. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    Does anyone have any feedback on the 24-120 lense that come with the 700 kit? Is there any difference in performance as compared to the older 24-120. I miss my 24-120 that I sold when I bought the 24-70. I trying to decide if if should just get the D700 body or by the kit to re-acquire a new 24-120 walk around lens.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Bob, when you say older, do you mean the early, screw drive, non VR? Or is there an updated VR version? I have the VR version, got it about 2 years ago, seems pretty sharp to me on my D300.

3. I would not buy the kit unless you get it discounted as the kit prices I have seen are MORE than the price of buying a body and lens separately! :eek:

4. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that the kit lens was an updated version of the VR. I guess, I'm trying to find out what lens really comes with the kit. Is this lens the same old VR that I sold or is it an upgrade to VRII?

Bob

5. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I thought the kit lens was an upgrade from the standard old VR lens that has been around for a few years. If anyone has the kit, can they tell us what lens it really contains?

Bob

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I remember the 24-120VR was a somewhat soft lens, I wouldn't pair it with the D700. Pretty sure the D300 with the 16-85VR would kick its ***.

7. The 24-120 VR sucked on DX. The reason I say that, is due to softness. Compared to the available competition, it just isn't that good. I would rather get a 24-85 AF-D, which in my opinion was a better mid-priced lens. The fact that it was a f/2.8-4 people seem to forget. It's a lot better than having a straight f/4 in my opinion. at least you get the 2.8 at the wide end. Despite being a non-AFS lens, it focuses and locks quickly. What I like most about that lens is the color rendition which is amazingly rich. I wish they'd make the 24-85 an AF-S and retain all it's goodness!

8. Bob, AFAIK, it is the same lens, it has not been updated. I would sure like to see an update that performs like the 16-85...

9. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    If it hasn't been updated, then, I guess I'll stick with the 24-70 as my walk around lens. I was hoping for a little more reach on the long end to be similar or better than the 24-70 with the D300.

Bob

10. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I stopped in at the local dealer today and the only D700 left was the 24-120 combo. This lens is the same 24-120 that has been out for several years. We compared it to a 24-120 on the shelf and there are no differences. He said he can't understand Nikon's pricing as even his separate pricing is cheaper than the combo.

On another note, he did say that they expected from 2-4 D700s on the original order request, but Nikon provided 8 bodies along with 1 combo, 2 weeks earlier than originally promised. He said the next shipment will be in a week or so.

We'll for now, it's going to be body only.

Bob

11. Good to know definitively about the 24-120 Bob, but too weird nonetheless about the pricing!!! :eek: