Any former Minolta shooters out there?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Sep 18, 2008.

1. An acquaintance of mine has a Minolta XD-700 ( I think this is correct model) manual focus camera, and wants a zoom lens in the 24-200 or 28-200mm range. He shoots old buildings, community events, parades, etc. Close focus or macro mode would be a plus, as he also copies old photographs of local interest. He is currently using a 35-70 or 35-105 and wants a greater FL range.

It is my understanding this camera requires an MD series lens. In looking for something in the MD type lens, I am seeing older Tamron and Tokina lenses and do not know if any would be acceptable compared to the newer AF designs.

Is there anything you could recommend that has reasonably good IQ.
    Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    I don't have any advice to add..but my first camera (1979) was an XD-11. :smile:

3. I wish I could help too! My camera was the XG-1 and I had every lens, filter, and gadget $$ could buy. Sadly it was all stolen when I moved to TX and all I have left for that time period is my darkroom stuff and tripod. Keep looking, I bet someone will have something!

4. Thanks Dianne and NJDJ. I was just concerned that some of these older zooms may be like looking through a coke bottle:biggrin:. KEH has some MD lenses listed, but many are "Misc. brand" and others are older Tokinas, etc. They look too cheap to be any good at all.

5. Tom

I have a Soligor 80-200 3.5 lens in mint++ shape that I used on a 1976 Minolta SRT202. This is a fully manual lens with quite decent IQ. If this suits his needs you can shoot me a PM..

Cheers

Ted:smile:

6. Hey Buckeye, I switched from KM to Nikon over a year ago. But this stuff was before my time. Have your friend poke around at: Dyxum. Great lens database there and many many old time Minolta users.

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

theres almost as many used minolta lense on the used market as nikon .

8. Well my very first 35mm was a Minolta Hi Matic 7 . I never had a minolta SLR , but at one time I wanted the SRT-101 .

9. abuH

abuH

Dec 25, 2006
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hi,

Regards to your acquaintance from a former Minolta MF shooter :smile:!
    As far as I know, Minolta never had such a "megazoom" in its MC/MD series, but there could have been 3rd party lenses out. I'd suggest checking out this website -- there's a wealth of info on old MF lenses:
    http://medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html

Also, though not much use concerning your particular question this time, but there's a whole website about old MF Minolta lenses, too: the Rokkor Files:
    http://www.rokkorfiles.com/

I'm afraid that's all I can contribute.

10. Thanks to everyone for your replies. Still looking for information. The 28-200 F3.5-5.3 TOKINA SZ-X MACRO MD is a possibility and is available at KEH...

Does anyone have experience with this one??

11. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Before I made the switch to Nikon in the mid 70's, I had the Minolta SRT 101 and the XK(a pro model aimed to compete with Nikon F2). The only good zoom at that time was the Vivitar Series 1 70-210. Back then, zooms in general were not very good, compared with todays optics and the Series 1 was toughted as the first computer designed lens line and it was worth the money. Good optics and build quality almost equal to Nikon which was who everyone was compared to at the time.

12. I have some old Minolta parts but they are for the Maxxum cameras

13. I have sitting on my shelf:

A Minolta MC TELE Rokkor-QD 135mm 1:3.5 with its original hood and case;

An MD Rokkor-X 45mm 1:2,

An MC Rokkor-PF 1:1.7 55mm; and

A Star D Gold Line MC 1:2.8 28mm.

I have had these lenses for 35+ years They still look new. Although these lenses are not the ones in your post, if any or all of these are useful, let me know. I would rather that they are being used than gathering dust.

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Use to be back in the Minolta 7000 days. Wow that was a long time ago.

15. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Almost nobody made super zooms back in the MF days and the ones that were around all sucked really bad.

16. Thanks Keith. I used to have a Vivitar series 1 short zoom for K mount. It was pretty decent as I recall.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks, I will mention these to my friend, but I don't believe that is what he wants. He says someone he knows has a Tamron 28-300 for Minolta, but it is my opinion it is AF and not the manual MD series. My friend is double checking though.

Can't be. Judging from your avatar, you're just a kid:smile:.

Yes, I believe you are correct. The Vivitar Series 1 mentioned above is most likely one of the best of that vintage. I have tried to suggest my friend switch to digital, but he likes to put historical photos on slides and present them at his local camera club.