Any good Photoshop books out there?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Jon H, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Hello all. Well, I should be studying for my final exams next week, but I felt like taking a break. :rolleyes: During my winter break I am hoping to learn as much as I can on how to use Photoshop, but since the learning curve is rather steep I will need a good book to teach/guide me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I currently have Adobe CS (not CS2) and would rather not upgrade for $$ reasons, oh, and I also use a Mac. I would prefer a book that is written for use of Photoshop on a Mac, but hey, any suggestions at all would be great. Thanks!

2. Jon, you can always try the Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a book series. It has a CD with lessons so you can teach yourself. Another good book is Martin Evenings book, Adobe Photohop CS (and the newer version CS2) for Photographers (focal press). Martin's book has lot of examples and covers everything from soup to nuts.

As a student you should be eligible for software discounts. Have you looked at the pricing at www.academicsuperstore.com or www.studica.com. I've purchased from both (excellent sources for students). Got a final next week myself!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. I also have Scott Kelby's book and it's very good.

4. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Since I actually know Scott, he would be seriously irked if I didn't also recommend his books!

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Kelby's Photoshop XX Book for Digital Photographers is excellent as everyone else has already said. I also like Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop XX by Bruce Fraser. In fact the latter book changed the way I shoot and process digital photos.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. I have four books on Photoshop, Scott Kelby's book is the one I use all the time.

8. I'll put in a plug for any of the Katrin Eisman's Photoshop books. Focus is primarily on people photos however the techniques learned are useful for any type of shot. I've got the others as well but Katrin's books are the ones I refer back to most often.

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Many available

Fraser's book is outstanding. Kelby's books are good for particular tasks but Paul it not be a surprise to find that some Americans consider it a difficult task to wade through inane comedy. The Total Training series of DVDs on Photoshop are also very good.

10. DinanM3

DinanM3 Guest

HAHA! I thought I was going to be unique with my "Bible" - which is also Scott Kelby's book. I use it so frequently. It is written in my style - want this? Do this, then do that. 1, 2, 3. His "Lab Sharpening" technique is worth the price alone. Scotts "Down and Dirty Tricks" book has also been valuable to me.