Any good programs like Picasa for Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Do you know of any good picture viewing/sorting programs like Picasa photo that will run on my new Mac?

2. Aperture is very good. iPhoto came with it and does a great job too.

3. Mediapro from iView, er, I mean Microsoft now. By "like Picasa" do you mean 'free', or the features it gives you? :smile:

4. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    LBM, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Free would be nice. But I really want something I can preview large numbers of photos, creat folders, batch rename photos, batch rotate photos, batch discard unwanted pictures and generally organize and store pictures. I'm new to Mac and have been using Photo Base 4.0 in the PC format for a long time but they don't make a version that will run on Mac. I know that there are probably better programs out there than Photo Base but I'm very comfortable with it. I don't like iPhoto.

Edit: just checked Mediapro...seems like overkill for my needs... just want something simple. If you get a chance check Photo Base http://www.arcsoft.com/products/photobase/ it's $39.99 and does a lot for thr dough. Especially if you use PS as you photo editor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
  6. Curious what you don't like about iPhoto.

Fastest app so far as loading thumbs and general use goes: Photo Mechanic.

Graphic Converter is nice, but pokey slow.

7. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    To be fair I havn't had the Mac long enough to really use and evaluate all of the features of any of the programs it came with. I was a PC user for too many years, I guess. But, the first thing I found that I didn't like is that iPhoto wants to download all of the pictures from the CF card without giving me an option to select which ones I would like to download. Next, there doesn't seem to be any "Batch" rotate, Batch delete, Batch rename etc to work on a group of selected photos, unless I am missing this feature. And, I miss the PC type "Driectory tree" with subfolders etc, a way of visualizing where I have my photos that I'm really used to.

I'll give it a go... and see what happens but I have already purchased Graphics Converter for $30 http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE5Mw_.html and it seems to have most of the features I'm looking for. thanks for asking,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  8. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    See this for the selective import. For batch changes, select the photos to change, go to Photos -> Batch Change on the menu to batch change titles, dates, comments.

9. Macanudo

Macanudo Guest

On the PC world I liked ACDSee, but the mac version stinks! In the mac world, after a lot of looking, for my travel pictures I use iPhoto and now with iWeb, its a breeze to create webpages for sharing with friends and family.

http://homepage.mac.com/cokyq/mysite

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.