Any help and advice please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by RayGuselli, Nov 9, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

New to Nikon Cafe and don't usually do flowers.

Just reworked one I took a little while ago and would appreciate any help or guidance to improve please.

Many thanks

Ray

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW

What is to improve Ray !!!!!!!

Gorgeous.

3. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Ray and welcome to the world of flower photography:rolleyes:

I think for your first effort you did it nicely. The compostion is great, as well as the colors.

Regarding the light, I would soften it a bit, in order to create a more pleasant and moody shot. Some petals also show the highlights a tad on the plus side.

Anyway, a very nice subject, beautifully captured.

Regards,

Roberto.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
  4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Many thanks

That is an encouraging start for me.

Roberto, when you say about the lighting, I simply took the shot in a garden centre and then when I got home removed the background to replace with black.

However, should I replace the lighting in processing, or is it always better to do at the point the picture is taken please?

Many thanks

Ray

5. Hi Ray, I think you did a great job replacing the background. Didn't even notice it till I read the thread. My only comment would be to clone out the two twist ties. But that's nitpicking! :)

6. Nice work going to try it out also. And look how it will look with other background. Thanks Ray

7. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Ray,

Next time try to use the exposure compensation in your camera and watch carefully the histogram, as well as the highlights warning blinkies on the back of the LCD. Alternatively, you can try to recover the highlights in PS or any other retouching software you may have.

In my view, it is always better to nail the exposure instead of try to correct it latter in pos-processing.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Roberto

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks

Hi Roberto

Just to say thanks

Will keeop a eye on that.

May rework this shot to salvage if possible.

All the best

Ray

9. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ray,
    Nice work, the flowers are beautiful.

Since you ask for opinions, I have 2 small comments:
    1) Need to give some space to the top of the flower to balance off the bottom space
    2) It seem to me that the bright pink border tend to distract me from the flower, it suppose to enhance the flower ( main focus ) instead of competing wit it.

10. No need for help here, the image is excellent.

11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Amended

Hi

Just to thank everyone for theoir comments and advice.

I have tried to incorporate all that was suggested, removed twist ties, more room at top, tried to deal with blown highlights and removed the distracting border.

Hope it works

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Ray! Orchids on black is a very classic shot. Robert Maplethorpe did that kind of thing before he got famous for some other stuff. And this shot of yours rivals anything I have seen by anyone!

I like your original image better than the reworked one, and here's why:

The unopened buds in the original are well defined, but the new ones are not properly extracted. The black intrudes into them, and upsets the integrity of the whole image. Plus the stems descending from the center-right. Thy are much more subdued in the frst one, and quite prominant in the second. They are not needed for this photo. In fact, I would darken then even from the first version. Those stems is the only problem I see in this picture - the little bit of burnt white on some of the petals doesn't bother me.

You might be able to use PSCS2 to fix just that part: Turn down the exposure while turning up the brightness until the histogram crawls off the right wall. If you get vertical bars of different colors, move them as close to the wall as you can, without touching it. This should take the burnt areas down just a smidge.

13. Great shot, well compose and the exposure is great (it's always very hard to have the perfect exposure when you have white with other strong colors next to it).

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Chris

Many thanks for the very constructive advice.

I agree with you - O prefer the first one and think that is anything should concentrate on rework of the.

Sadly I binned the psd file for that and have only a jpeg.

Still will persevere - once again many thanks

Ray