Any idea what is causing this?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
When working in PS CC, I am starting to get odd blocks of color/pattern on the screen. Below is an example. I have closed PS CC and Bridge for about an hour. Shut down the computer. Then re-started. If I have the image with the blocks of color - then re-open it, the image is fine. But once I try to do something the blocks of color/pattern reappear - but in different colors/patterns and in different places.

Screenshot 2021-06-06 202909.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FWIW....I copied the background layer shown above. I then selected the camera raw filter. The image opened up just fine in ACR. I made some geometry changes and took the image back to PS. The colored/patterned blocks re-appeared. See below....

Screenshot 2021-06-06 204706_Ver2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If I then in PS CC engage the crop tool, the color blocks go away! But when I save the crop, the color blocks re-appear.

Computer is a Puget custom build in March of last year. Monitor is an NEC PA301W that I bought in 2011.

How can I test my graphics card?

Is there a test for a monitor?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like the file has been corrupted somewhere in the line. Camera, card, card reader, USB cable, drive....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I had that happen recently, it stopped when I turned off the GPU in my OS settings.
Looks like the file has been corrupted somewhere in the line. Camera, card, card reader, USB cable, drive....
Thanks. Tomorrow I may try the GPU setting. I have NOT updated to the last PS CC change since I use Nik filters a lot and wanted to get through all the images I have to process.

I don't think the file is corrupted, since I can save the file (even with the blocks...) and when I open the file it is fine.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So this morning I changed the Memory usage in PS from 60% to 70%. No problems so far this morning........... fingers crossed.

I could swear PS updates are changing some of my preferences! I've always allocated 70% to PS and have no idea how it got changed to 60%. I'm not THAT old................I don't think! :p:eek::rolleyes:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well......color blocks are back , so memory allocation did not solve the problem. I'm still thinking this is a graphics card or aging monitor problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You need to find out the general area of the problem. This is what you do first.
  1. In Photoshop, on the menu, go to Edit/Preferences/Performance
  2. On the right side you will see a tick next to Use Graphics Processor.
  3. Untick it, then press OK.
  4. Close Photoshop (important).
  5. Run Photoshop again.
If the problem has gone away, then you can go back and tick the box again then go into the Advanced settings just below, and experiment with the Drawing Mode pulldown at the top. For example you may find that Basic works and Advanced does not.

(If this doesn't solve it then if you like you can send me the file and I will check if it is OK or corrupted.)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You need to find out the general area of the problem. This is what you do first.
  1. In Photoshop, on the menu, go to Edit/Preferences/Performance
  2. On the right side you will see a tick next to Use Graphics Processor.
  3. Untick it, then press OK.
  4. Close Photoshop (important).
  5. Run Photoshop again.
If the problem has gone away, then you can go back and tick the box again then go into the Advanced settings just below, and experiment with the Drawing Mode pulldown at the top. For example you may find that Basic works and Advanced does not.

(If this doesn't solve it then if you like you can send me the file and I will check if it is OK or corrupted.)
Thanks, Richard. I'm having no problem editing 7 D850 files at a time using Nik HDR Efex Pro and saving them. ....as long as the color blocks don't obscure areas I want to target process! LOL! And today, the problem is much less than yesterday.

I will do as you suggest and report back.

Real Name
Aaron
I have seen the strange blocks in Lightroom Classic on two wildly different Mac systems. For me, the blocks look like static from an old TV, far less color in them. They would persist for a few moments, then disappear as the selected image was loaded (rendered?) completely. I do not recall seeing them in Photoshop, but do not perform a lot of editing there...

It may be something in the Camera Raw software, such an incompatibility with some graphics cards or drivers. I have not seen the issue recently, but there have been some app updates in the last month or two. At one point I played with different graphics processor settings looking for a solution (along with a kernel panic issue experienced in an earlier version of LR Classic) but now have it set back to "Auto" with no issues at all.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom