Any interest in photos of DIY projector screen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Nov 19, 2005.

1. I know this is only "sort of" photography-related but I built a 100" home theater projection screen which turned out pretty well. It cost about $80 for the entire rig instead of $700-$1500 from the HT stores. I took shots while I was building it and can post on PBase if there is any interest.

Rich

2. Yeah - lets see them!

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sounds cool...bring it on!

4. definitely interested...

Let's see the shots. A nice step by step would be great too.

Dave

5. Rich...I sure would like to see those pictures too. Thanks.

6. 52480686.
    large.

Rich

Attached Files:

7. Hi Rich,

Do you plan to project your photos digitally, like old slide shows? We have tried it and it works well.

Bob & Nan

8. Rich what material are you planning on using to cover that frame with? I like what I see.

9. Yes, I've done that. The projector has a VGA connection. I also have a DVDO Scaler which turns everything to 1080i and handles PC signals as well.

Rich

10. At a local fabric store get "black out cloth." It comes 54" wide and since the frame is 49" tall ( the width is 87-1/4") the cloth works out fine. It is used to back up drapes to keep out light.

One side of the cloth seems coated; that should go towards the projector. You can buy specially made metallicized cloth which will give you a brighter screen. Keep in mind though it will also reflect daytime incoming sunlight as well.

A source for more ideas is avsforum.com. It is a huge Home Theater site covering literally everything concerning this topic including hardware and reception. There is even a DIY screen section. There are often over 500 people on the site at the same time.

Rich