Any interest in some P5000 samples?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Ming Thein, Mar 23, 2007.

1. I attended the Malaysian launch event for the P5000 and other PMA stuff this morning; have some sample shots with the P5000 at various ISOs. I can post full rez shots if there's any interest...

FYI, the D40x was there too, but I didn't have enough time to give it a try too. I have plenty of SLRs but still looking for that perfect compact...sorry!

Ming

2. Long time no see Ming! good to read your post.

3. Thanks - been snowed under with work recently. So, how about some P5000 samples? :tongue:

Ming

4. By all means! post some.

5. Yes please Ming.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Ming
    nice to see you
    Yes I would like to see the images

7. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I'm still looking for the perfect compact too (passively, not actively). The P5000 doesn't have raw, but I'm starting to despair of Nikon or Canon ever putting raw on a compact again. I'd like to see your samples. I'd even more like to know your opinion, because I know you've used lots of these.

Are you going to ty the Sigma DP1 also?

Canon G7 or A640 are the closest to my ideal right now.

DAB

8. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Samples

Yes, please, Ming.

9. Okay, nothing scientific or of any photographic merit - just a few snaps at different ISOs. EXIF should be intact. Wish I had a bit more time to play with it. First impression is that it's nicely built, sufficiently responsive (though the shutter button feels a bit dead) and smaller than expected. Image quality wise, I can't say I'm blown away but noise levels are reasonable for a 10MP compact, detail is pretty good at low ISOs and okay at 400 and above. There is some visible detail-mushing going on though, even at the lowest sensitivities. Changing sharpening didn't seem to have much of an effect. Lens looked reasonable clean as far as I can see - not that much CA, sharp enough, contrasty enough (actually, I find that less contrast is better to preserve dynamic range for digital cameras). However, I wish it went wider and longer - if Panasonic can do it in their new TZ3 (28mm HFOV, 300mm tele!), I'm sure Nikon can too, especially given their experience with the very good 18-200VR...

They're on my flickr page here (click through for full size unedited originals):

Nikon P5000 samples

Ming

10. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    You mean you're not too keen on the wide-angle converter?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:wink:

11. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    It's hard to tell too much from these samples, although to my eye, even the ISO 100 looks noisy. Maybe that's because I haven't used a P&S in a very long time.

It sounds like the P5000 didn't give you enough reason to give up your GRD.

DAB

12. I am, but then it's no longer pocketable or compact - the same reason I didn't buy a Canon G7. The so-so image quality of the TZ3 is holding me off somewhat, though.

Ming

13. Yes, I found it either noisy or with too much NR. If it had the 24-85 lens of the 8400 I'd buy it in a flash, but I think I'd miss the wideangle of the GR too much. And I can clean up the noise quite well in PS.

Ming

14. Interesting Ming

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks for posting Ming