Any little tips...

for keeping my laptop cords from going bad? It seems that every macbook cord that I've had starts to pull apart right near where it plugs into the computer because it sits at a bad angle so often. Or is it inevitable that I buy a new power adapter every few years?

I know what you mean, my friend has a macbook from a few years ago with a different style power cord than mine, and it's frayed and looks like it's about to break.

I think the newer styles are a bit better about this

This condition can occur if the end is unplugged by pulling on the cord. I always make sure to grab the head of the cord to disconnect. The magnet is strong and puts a lot of force on the connection of the cord to the head if removing by pulling on the cord. Separation will occur on any cord that is removed this way. I also keep the small cord wrapped on the clips of the transformer with the end clipped to the cord. This helps keep the end from getting "pulled on" when stored in my case.

??? I have had several Mac Book and Mac Book Pros and never had that problem.

Ditto -- I've never had that problem, either.

I know what you mean, my friend has a macbook from a few years ago with a different style power cord than mine, and it's frayed and looks like it's about to break.

I think the newer styles are a bit better about this

Yeah, I think it has to do with the older style cord. I've had 2 different adapters do this to me, and the one I got with my latest laptop is starting to do the same thing already.

This condition can occur if the end is unplugged by pulling on the cord. I always make sure to grab the head of the cord to disconnect. The magnet is strong and puts a lot of force on the connection of the cord to the head if removing by pulling on the cord. Separation will occur on any cord that is removed this way. I also keep the small cord wrapped on the clips of the transformer with the end clipped to the cord. This helps keep the end from getting "pulled on" when stored in my case.

It's not a case of getting yanked out wrong, but when it is attached to the computer, the cord seems to like to bend right there at the end where it goes into the magnetic piece... that's what eventually pulls it out.

Shaun,

The same thing has happened to my friend. But it hasn't happened to me. I bought my Macbook in late 2007 (first intel model) and my cord is perfect. However, My iPhone cord (bought in March 2010) both ends are broken right before the head (within a month). You can see the wires and everything. I ended up tightly wrapping some white electrical tape around the end and that holds for a while. But you have to reapply it every month or two. My old ipod cord from late 2006 (iPod still works great) has not broken and doesn't even show signs of breaking.

I wonder if this means that Apple isn't putting 100% effort and quality into everything like they used to.... Or if certain things just get more wear and tear.

Yeah, I did the electrical cord thing too, for a while, but that didn't last too long. I need to see if I can tear an old one apart and try to re-wire it, but I'm not much of an electrician, still, it can't hurt as it's already shot,...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom