1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any more DX lenses?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pforsell, Jul 6, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    This is all just guessing and speculating, but what is your opinion about new DX lens releases from Nikon? Will there be any and if yes, which one?

I think the Nikon DX lineup is ready and final. Next item on the to-do list is the fast shorter primes.

2. I would like to agree with you, and I think you are right at the higher end of the line up.

But I think there is still a chance that some of the lower end, consumer lenses may be rereleased with better specs, for example adding VR or VRII

But completely new DX lenses..... probably not

3. nice to have a 10-200mm f1.4 vrii.
    or is that tooo ambitious?

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Nikon already has a very complete DX lens lineup, much better than Canon's EF-S, so I agree. Not much need to keep adding more DX glass, although I would like to see a 50-150mm range f/2.8 VR zoom with AF-S. That's about it.

5. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    All sorts of things could be wished for, and some would make sense, but most likely few will be seen. An 18-200 f2.8 fixed aperture VRII would be a very nice upgrade to that lens and probably sell well but I'm not holding my breath.

6. It would also be huge.

7. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    With a decent image quality that lens would be bigger, heavier and cost more than the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 combined even if it was a DX format lens.

I think that a 22 lbs DX lens costing $9,900 would not be a top seller.

8. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't suggest it could be practical or affordable, just that it would be nice. :biggrin:

9. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA

Just use wide angle adapters on the Sigma 200-500 2.8! :tongue:

10. I believe the question is more:

Will Nikon produce any more "pro" DX glass? Rather than will they make any DX lenses at all.

"Never" is a long time. If we assume that there will always be cheap DX cameras for (at minimum) the consumer marketplace, it's logical to assume that Nikon will always make new and less expensive DX models. They'd eventually introduce a new DX lens for those cameras in order to keep the line-up fresh and people interested.

They'll probably eventually update the VR in lenses like the 18-55VR and 55-200VR. And perhaps make the 16-55VR a bit wider at the same time. Perhaps they'll make a VR version of the 18-135.

One possibility is a new kit lens for the eventual D90.

Nikon sure seems to like having a lot of overlapping zooms.

11. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Hahaha. Have you seen the size of the 200 f/2.8? Imagine adding 182 more mm of zoom to that and keeping the aperture constant.. I think you'd need a truck if you want your mounting base to be mobile :p 

12. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I don't think Nikon will release any more Pro DX glass (since when was the last time?) but Nikon will probably release a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 with their upcoming D90.

13. Yes, it is too ambitious, especially f1.4 bit :wink:

14. Agree, shame Sigma didn't go for f1.4 it would be just a bit more ridiculous than current 200-500 f2.8, wondering whose lowepro bag stretch that much...unless it is intended to be fitted onto battle tank to scare away nikon/canon brigade :tongue:

15. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I'd have to agree with you. Although I don't believe they've made any more "pro" DX only glass than they absolutely needed to. The 17-55, 12-24 are the only two that come to mind (maybe the 10.5). Both of which were absolutely necessary to get the ranges people need on a DX body. Their longer zoom lenses and primes have always remained FX.

I don't think the DX format is going anywhere. I believe it'll remain for the non-pro buyers for the foreseeable future. The lenses for DX can be made smaller, lighter, and cheaper. All of which are a huge advantage to a lot of people. I'd be very surprised if Nikon releases a FF camera below the D700 model segment ever.

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Nikon said that consumer FX bodies are coming, back when the D3 was released.

DX was just a stop-gap measure because large sensors used to be much more expensive than they are today. All DX bodies are actually crop sensors in a full-sized FX body. A true crop sensor system would be the 4/3 format, where everything else has been minimized along with the sensor, taking full advantage of the smaller sensor. Unfortunately, lenses designed for the 4/3 format can't be used on larger sensors since 4/3 bodies can't share different sensor sizes.

17. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If Nikon did produce such a lens, I think they would make it FX - there is not much to gain by making telephoto lenses DX.

They may as well complete the range of 18-xx zooms :smile:
    Hopefully the do something different, like replacing the 18-70/3.5-4.5 with a 17-70/4 similar to the new Pentax lens. That would be a very cool lens.

18. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I don't remember Nikon ever mentioning something like that. In fact here's an excerpt from their press release for the D3.

Even if it was a stop-gap originally, they have invested a large amount of money and resources into DX only products. DX cameras and lenses are a large part of their arsenal. DX lenses require less materials to produce and will remain cheaper. Also, the crop factor is an advantage to a lot of people since they can get more reach with smaller lenses.

The lenses Nikon designed for DX share the same fate as the 4/3rd format you mentioned. They might technically mount on a FX camera since the mounts are the same but you'll be hit or miss on quality or even full image size. Some of the DX lenses themselves will block some of the light internally, by the hood, or even by the filter threads on the front. It'd be an interesting test to see what DX lenses did what on FX cameras.

You're definitely right on the sensors fitting. But that's mostly because of the lenses. If it mounts a Full Frame lens somewhere inside that body you're going to be seeing a full 35mm image.

19. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It was an interview from one of Nikon Japan's top executives. I don't have the link, but in short he said Nikon was at least two years ahead of Canon in technology and that he expected FX sensors to trickle down toward cheaper and cheaper consumer bodies.

Well actions speak louder than words. Nikon has only introduced one pro lens for DX, the 17-55/2.8. The 12-24/4 I don't consider to be pro, although whether the 10.5 fisheye is a pro lens is debatable. No DX prime lenses either, just a bunch of kit lenses. Nikon really enjoys making their 18-xx f/3.5-5.6 lenses.

What hurts DX is the long flange-to-sensor plane length, making it hard to make a cheap 50/1.8 equivalent, which would be a 33mm f/1.2 for only $100. If the DX system was designed from stratch, we would have Olympus 420-sized bodies and faster, cheaper lenses.

Keep in mind that DX loses 1.5 stops ISO compared to FX, so you need faster lenses to make up for it (1.5 stops faster). Nikon so far has not released any f/0.9 DX lenses, which makes me angry. I would gladly pay $300 for a 33mm f/0.9 DX lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.