Any more info on CAM 1000 in the D200?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 1, 2005.

1. I'm most interested on how well CAM 1000 performs. If it's similar to CAM 1300 on the D1X, I can live with that (because CAM 1300 is fairly good). Low-light focusing is my bread and butter. I'm just wondering if there is any additional info going in-depth with the focusing? I don't just want an improved CAM 900, I want real pro-body focusing! I'm already spoiled by my D2H's low-light focusing, so I have high expectations with this new camera!

Honestly, if it isn't very good, I'll have to cash out and get a D2X! Darn it! :confused: :tongue: :redface:

2. Jon,

Although I have no knowledge of the CAM 1000, this is an area that concerns me because there is a "focus assist" lamp on the D200. Not trying to jump to conclusions but this sounds like bad news to me if you are hoping for low light focusing like the D2h or x. This looks like a wait-and-see issue at best.

Woody

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I sure hope you are wrong jonathan

I will have to go cannon or D2H

4. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Gale

The low end canons are not all the great in low light focusing. I have a feeling D200 won't be all that top of line for low light, given the low number of sensors that make up the focusing system.

We will know soon :)

5. That's what my concern too. Besides the sensors, I think there're also AF algorithms and one must wait and see how the whole thing performs.

Like Jonathan F/2, if the D200 AF doesn't fulfill my expectations, I will take the plunge for a D2X. Hopes that its price will drop next year.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, the guy who called it CAM 1000 and seemed to "get it right" in his predictions about the AF system as well as other aspects of the D200 on DPR a little while back seemed pretty confident that there was only one cross-type sensor. I think if you can get by using the center crosspoint AF sensor or using the "wide area" AF mode that groups sensors, the D200 will probably be OK. But IMHO there's no substitute for the 9 cross-type sensors offered by CAM-2000, because it really does give you the flexibility of not having to choose between getting accurate AF versus not having your subject centered in the frame. Some will say that focus/recompose is good enough but IMHO it's not unless you're shooting a completely static scene (and even then, being able to focus without messing up your composition can be nice).

7. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    A single cross type sensor is a little dissapointing but does the 7-area WIDE AF mode group the vertical/horizontal sensors together? I wonder how that might perform.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. The AF assist lamp is not in any way an indication of the performance of the camera. The D2 series lacks a built-in flash, so if you're shooting where you're having focus trouble (they assume you'll want flash too) the much more powerful AF assist lamp in the SB-600/800 fires. Since the D200 like the D100 and D70 and d50 has a built-in flash, it needs a short-range assist for when it is used.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Anand,
    Did you get my PM.. You should have "mail today "

I guess I will hae to try a D200 for a bit befor I buy. Borrow or rent one.

I want speed for birdies and need to be able to shoot when the end of day comes when the light is less.

I have plenty of time. Can't afford one now anyway. Maybe thts a good thing. Let everybody test it and Nikon work out the bugs :>)))

I guess we will see.

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Whatever the AF turns out to be, I'm sure it will be better than the AF in the D100. I suspect there will be certain situations that will challenge it, but when you think back to the early "Ought-to-focus" of the N6006, there has been remarkable progress. My F4s was state of the art when it was new, this past summer I was using it when my F5 was in the shop and it was slower at AF than the D100. Guess it's all relative...

12. True, but the presence of the lamp indicates that it is needed for improved focusing in low lighting. F2 shoots parties and clubs and needs D2h-like focusing performance to do his job.

It's a wait-and-see situation, but the evidence is not encouraging.

Woody

13. Well, is not the presence of the lamp on the SB-600/800 indicative it is needed on the D2 series :)
    Its on all the built-in flash cameras for when precise low-light focus with the AF-Assist lamp is needed...if you're using the SB600/800 etc. it doesnt matter anyways. I don't expect the D200 to be another D2X in focus, but I do expect a good camera with good focus

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    AFS,
    If the SB600/800's only worked on the D2 series of cameras you would have a point.

At this point the D200 doesn't exist yet so its all just guessing games.:wink:

15. The AF assist lamp on the D70/70S/50/100/200 is short range- enough for the built-in flash. It just isn't effective in some cases due to range, others due to lens size/hood obstruction.
    The AF assist on the SB600 in my case is a big help- more range, more accurate, less distracting.
    I don't expect a D2X but I do expect this to be an exceptional AF module in an even more exceptional camera :)