Any non-pros out there with >$2500 in gear?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Neon01, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    Just wondering if I'm completely nuts for spending so much on this hobby, because it certainly is not my profession.

How about you? Anyone out there that's spending money on what many consider to be pro-level gear even though they'll never make a dime off of it?

2. You spend what you want to spend. But try not to spend more than you can afford. That would be foolish. :) 

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    17-55: $1300
    10.5 fisheye: $620
    Tokina 11-16/2.8: :$570
    70-300VR: $500

That's $3k and I haven't even included a body yet, a bunch of my cheaper lenses, and tons of accessories, bags, a few flashes, filters, etc. It doesn't take much to get into serious money in this hobby, that's for sure! But hey, my daughter is only young once. My wife LOVES the photos I take with this gear and doesn't mind it as long as I keep taking great photos! :wink:

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I estimate I've spent about $10K so far as a hobby. Cameras, lenses, strobes, accessories, software, plug-ins for software, books, online resources and training. That doesn't count travel expenses for photography.

Overall, that's pretty cheap. I've spent a lot more on motorcycles over the same period of time.

5. Yup here. In for over $5k.

People spend what they are willing to spend. Whether one is a pro or not doesn't really set your expenditures. E.g. don't go for blanket reasoning like, "if you're a pro and you shoot Xyz for a living, get this lens, otherwise don't bother" That kind of statement assumes too much, as everyone assesses value on a case-by-case basis.

I always warn friends who want a dSLR that the initial camera purchase is often just the tip of the iceberg.

6. Non-pro guitar players (who can afford them) often have a half dozen or more guitars worth $3K or more each.

$2500 doesn't even buy a D700 without a lens. Don't forget all those big hard drives, extra RAM, software, updates, etc etc etc!!!

7. Easily over $2.5K and I'm no pro. But at least I'm not paying to develop film anymore!:smile:

8. Same here...
    When I started I never could imagine that this hobby would cost me so much :smile:

9. When I consider the cost of my camera gear divided by the number of hours of enjoyment from my hobby it is inexpensive indeed even at $5,000 plus for gear. Many other hobbies (boating for example) cost a whole lot more and you never expect to earn a dime off them.

10. Pros are in the business and have to financially justify their spending, other wise they are not in business very long. Non-pros, like me, don't have to financially justify what they spend on equipment, as long as their day job can financially support the hobby. Pro photographers may have non-photographic hobbies that they spend their hard earned money on as well. As for spending $3k in gear, I passed that threshold on just lenses years ago and I am still buying lenses and digital cameras.

11. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    That's a pretty low threshold for photo gear, to be honest. Even buying mostly older used stuff I've had no problem hitting that target.

12. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Think about this: even if your hobby was fishing, a nice boat and motor outfit costs WAY more than 2500. Most hobbies are pretty expensive.

13. Neon01

Neon01

Sep 24, 2008
    Forest Hill, MD
    True, one of my other hobbies is auto racing/timed events. It's probably even more expensive than photography.

Good to know I'm not alone then! It almost sounds like I'm on the low end of things... D300 $1500 + 16-85 VR $465 + 70-300 VR $450. I guess I haven't quite broken the $2500 threshold yet, but that'll change soon no doubt!

14. Hmm lets see

D300 - $1300
    300 F/4 - $1000
    SB-600 - $200

so ya pretty easy to go over $2500

15. I'm not a pro.....but it's a hobby that gives me great pleasure. Just keep within your budget and enjoy. $2500 is a lot of $$$$ but everything is relative.

16. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

$2,500.00...you're just get started aren't you?

It's a slippery slope out there...:rolleyes: 

17. Yup. I'm into it for well north of $10K

The way that I look at it, I don't golf, so given what I save in equipment and membership dues I'm ahead of the game :) 

18. I'd never spend this much on a hobby! But then again, photography is my job and obsession so it works out!

19. PedroS

PedroS

May 4, 2008
    Portugal
    :biggrin:

Well... lots of them, lots...
    But nothing pays my pleasure photographing, and I don't want to be the richest dead on the graveyard :smile:

20. Buying all this equipment caused me to go part time-pro. I needed a way to pay for the habit. A quick count takes me over $18,000 in Nikon alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.